Would you paint your car?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How much painting can you do??
Sure... I'll do a full body respray!! 12 63.16%
Yep... A few panels here and there!! 1 5.26%
Ok... I'll touch up a stonechip or two!! 3 15.79%
Umm... No. 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 05:08   #1 (permalink)
Who wants more than 80kw?

Would you paint your car??

Just curious to see how many people are out there doing there own paintwork / crash repairs.

Ive resprayed my own car.. and am doing a second now.
81foXDwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2005, 05:18   #2 (permalink)
www.lukehimself.com

Re: Would you paint your car??

I'd do it if it was a unique color that would stand out, but i wouldnt do it if it was just for a respray in the same color or a factory color
Old 03-27-2005, 16:40   #3 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81foXDwagon
Just curious to see how many people are out there doing there own paintwork / crash repairs.

Ive resprayed my own car.. and am doing a second now.
i've sprayed a few now, i reckon i'm pretty good at it, the first couple came out ok but i recently sprayed my XG ute's front bumper and guard and you would never even know, its perfect.
so now i'm keen to have anothe go, each time i learn what i did wrong so i am getting better. the worst part for me is the sanding i am the bog king when it comes to dents.(for an amature)
Old 03-28-2005, 20:12   #4 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

I touched up a scratched/scraped area on the rear passenger door which was about the size of my hand, but it looks like someone's run a fine comb over the paintwork there (when it's really shiny and has sunlight reflecting off it)

I wouldn't be game to do a respray though! The bonnet and roof need repearling though, they're blistering, doh!

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 00:57   #5 (permalink)

Paintings the easy part anyone can do it, the prep work is the key, I have done a few resprays but I wouldn't dare tackle a complete bare metal respray. The killer for me is the bloody dog hair and shit like that getting on the paint, you need a clean area with no trees or a spray booth if you wan't a really good job. I have just started changing my LTD from silver to red and silver metallic pearls and it is ok but not great.
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:43   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I do all my own work but it is getting more difficult with insurers worrying about the OHS issues of me doing my own painting (noxious fumes).

Last time someone ran into the back of me after much debate I finally got the other driver's insurers to pay me cash settlement after I resorted to legal action against the driver (not his fault his insurer didn't want to pay) so I could do it myself. They wanted a full disclaimer for liability and then contacted my insurer. When my own insurer found out they also insisted on inspecting my workshop, seeing my safety gear and the inspecting the finished job (which they admitted was better than many so called professional repairs). Even then they were clearly unhappy with me doing the work. They have always wanted to inspect the finished job which is understandable but this is the first time the have got nosey about where I do my repairs and what gear I have.

I used to have no problems and this was the first time my own insurer expressed any reluctance about me doing my owm work. I wonder if it's really an OHS issue or me upsetting their knock for knock arrangements and their preference for using their own stocks of used parts rather than me buying my own new parts. I refuse to calim on my insurance when its not my fault and this seems to annoy most insurers.
Old 04-05-2005, 21:09   #7 (permalink)

yep ,bloody hard work tho, I have a 63 compact in the garage that i am half way through.

Cleanliness is the key, and checking and rechecking for me

I dont do it all the time so it seems like it takes forever,and there are no shortcuts that semm to work for me
compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint