From 3 Speed auto to 4 Speed auto in EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 00:06   #1 (permalink)

From 3 Speed auto to 4 Speed auto in EA

Hey. I have an EA Fairmont Ghia Series I. it only has a 3 speed automatic, but i want a 4 speed automatic. is it possible to replace the 3 speed auto to a 4 speed auto without having to rewiring or changing the computer? would it make any difference to the fuel comsumption as well as reliability and speed?

if anyone is selling a cheap 4 speed auto please PM me. thanks
phongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Re: From 3 Speed auto to 4 Speed auto in EA

Hi phongus, welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately you need a different ECU to run the 4 speed auto (since it's an electronic box and the 3 speed isn't), and I suspect looms are required too.

I dunno if "Dellboy999" is on these forums or not, but do a search for him. He successfully did this same mod to his EA a while ago.

The 4 speed has a taller 1st gear I believe (I can get to 100kph in 1st <mine's a V8>, and I have a 3.27 diff!), however the fuel consumption should drop a fair way especially when cruising.

3rd gear in 3 speed box = 1:1 ratio. 4th gear in 4 speed box = 0.68:1 ratio. BIG difference in revs here!

Good luck,

-Dave-

PS I think it may be easier to do a T5 conversion (less electronics to worry about!), this is what most people with 3 speed autos seem to do when they feel it's time to change.
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:33   #3 (permalink)

Re: From 3 Speed auto to 4 Speed auto in EA

Different computer. Different engine bay harness. Different Dash Harness. Different Pedal Box (can get away without changing it though). Different gearbox crossmember mount. The 4 speed crossmember won't bolt in. '88 and '89 have a different bracket welded under the floorpan. There may be a crossmember from a certain model that will allow the fitment, but I don't know. Personally, I drilled out all the spotwelds on the underfloor brackets from a 1990 EA and fitted them to my '89 model. Lots of work.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons