Ford Forums banner

4 speed autos EA to ED

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  ED195KW 
#1 ·
hi all, does anyone know if there were any internal differences between the BTR 4 speed in the series II EA up until the late ED?

Did Ford or BTR strenghen them at all as they were slightly unreliable in EA??

Any comments would b great...... taa

#2 ·
Did Ford or BTR strenghen them at all as they were slightly unreliable in EA??
First I've heard of it mate.....just had an original EA 4speed die at 400 000 km.

#3 ·
Hmmm, im not sure about the internal gear ratio's but I know for a fact that the ED's had different stall specs on the converters than the EA had. EA was something like 1850rpm and ED had 2200rpm... anyone confirm this?

Brent

#5 ·
Found some stuff on the BTR's...

Gear ratio's were the same across the 85/91/95 boxes.
Stall speeds on the converters were 1950rpm(85LE), 2200(91LE), 2400(95LE). The only other differences i can find are that the boxes had slightly different line pressures..

Cheers

Brent

#7 ·
2200? Are you guys sure this is right?

#8 ·
Yep, says so in the max ellery's book..

Brent

#9 ·
taa guyz, had a feeling there wasnt a huge difference......

#11 ·
I know that the manual boxes in the EA didn't have syncromesh reverse, where as the EB onwards did. But as for the autos, NFI.

#13 ·
Nope, AUs weren't the first.

#15 ·
I know for a fact that the ED has the syncromesh reverse and I'm sure that the EB is the same. I think that it's even outlined in the gregory's workshop manual, I'll take a look at mine when I get home.

#17 ·
ED195KW said:
I know for a fact that the ED has the syncromesh reverse and I'm sure that the EB is the same. I think that it's even outlined in the gregory's workshop manual, I'll take a look at mine when I get home.

My 94 ED (factory manual) dosent have a syncronised reverse....

#18 ·
Well then it isn't the factory gearbox.

#19 ·
Errm well thats why myford.com says it has a 5 spd floor manual and the previos owner didnt have the box out once.....

It is a factory gearbox and reverse isnt syncronised.

I know the repair manual says EB2 and ED are syncronised but EVERY factory one ive been in HAVENT been syncronised.

#20 ·
So you're saying that the information in the workshop manual is inaccurate? Umm...

#21 ·
yea , basically.... :king:
is your ED manual?

Can anyone else confirm that EDs dont/do have a syncro reverse gear?

#23 ·
Yes, but this isn't exactly a typo...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.