AU- EF and EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2004, 02:28   #1 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

AU- EF and EA

guys not sure where to post this in ford forums so i figure this is the place.
Reading around i see a few people asking about putting an au motor into an ef or an ea...

OK the facts are FORGET about the ef/el conversion, these cars run a different k-frame to an ea-ed, The au sump will fowl on the front part of the crossmember.
EA-ED are no worries, putting an au motor in these is fairly easy. When i done it we used all ea brackets and engine mounts.

All u need to do is grind the front timing cover flat , so the belt tensioners can bolt up, u also need to grind the front of sump and front cover around the ea balancer as it hits the au motor. You need to drill and tap one hole on the drivers side of the block to bolt up the alternator. You also have to cut a bit of the sump away to clear this bracket. Other than that its a direct fit..

the ef/el sumps wont fit the au bottem end properly. so unless you can get a custom sump made for the au motor id look for a good late el donk as these are very similar to the au motor
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 02:43   #2 (permalink)
S.A. E-Series Rep

Re: AU- EF and EA

i'm putting an AU motor in my EB next week. i'm keeping the AU motor complete, i.e. using the serpentine belt. i have to use an AU air-con pump, and an AU alternator, as the alt. castings are different on the EB, and i'd have to change the pulley anyway. i'm keeping the EB power steer pump, just changing the pulley. i spoke to the guys at the place im buying the motor from, they've one the conversion twice. they reckon they didn't have to modify the AU sump at all. i do have to use an AU bellhousing, but the rest of the trans bolts straight on to it. EB-AU starter motors are all the same.
i have to swap the AU coil packs for my EB distributor, and i have to cut one of the plugs off my EB loom and swap it fpor an AU plug. wires still stay the same, just a different shape plug.

phil

EF 5.0l,

EB au6cyl,
monty.v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:57   #3 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

So wait, I'm getting confused as to what your saying. Let me get this straight...

An AU motor WILL NOT fit in an EF/EL but....
An Au motor WILL fit in an EA/ED.

Is that right?????

Is it not possible to fit an EF/EL sump to the AU motor?? What about an AU crossmember into an EF/EL???
Old 07-11-2004, 03:14   #4 (permalink)
S.A. E-Series Rep

i thought AU blocks were basically identical to EF/L blocks?
i'm not swapping sumps, i'm keeping the AU sump on the AU motor, but i've been told the EB sump and oil pickup go straight into the AU block. cant think why you wouldn't be able to do it with EF/L parts?

EF 5.0l,

EB au6cyl,
Old 07-11-2004, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

The AU block and sump is intergral, the caps bolt through the sump. THe au motor also runs heaps bigger main bearings and as a result they are wider near where the rear cap bolts up.

You can do it that way by keeping all the au stuff on , ??? not sure if youre air con hoses will bolt to the au pump though.
You will deff have to bend the front bar that goes between ya castor rod bushes, its very very close once its bent to, i mean feeler guage clearance. If you dont it will hit the front of the sump and drive u crazy ....

AU motors wil go into ea-ed's
au motors will NOT go into ef/els as easy.

You dont need an au bell housing, just all the lower bolts dont line up, but for the cost of it id get it as well it will look a heap more neater
Old 07-11-2004, 03:24   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
Is it not possible to fit an EF/EL sump to the AU motor??
No, unless I've got the specific models wrong, the AU sump is cast aluminium, cross-bolted to the main bearing caps. It's a compromise way of mimicking the extra stiffness of a deep-skirt block. Whereas the EL has a normal stamped steel sump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
What about an AU crossmember into an EF/EL???
I think this is possible.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:24   #7 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

The au crossmember is a total no no ... no way in hell would it fit, its alloy, required different steering rack, different lower arms.... it would be a night mare
Old 07-11-2004, 03:27   #8 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

it even bolts up to different mounthing places, the au doesnt run castor rods, so there is no spot in the k frame to mount youre ef lower arms,

AS far as front end suspension parts go the ONLY part interchangable is the front struts and thats it Every thing else is totaly differrent
Old 07-11-2004, 03:34   #9 (permalink)
S.A. E-Series Rep

the AU bellhousing is only an extra $50, so i'll definitely grab that.
and you're right about the air-con hoses, i'll have to get new ones made up.
i'll probably take a bit of metal off the sump just in case.
how did the car that received the AU donk go with it in?
i don't even know how much power i'll be gaining by doing this conversion, i know it'll be at least a coupla kilowatts, my main reason for the conversion is swapping the stuffed 225,000k motor for a fairly fresh 30,000k unit.

EF 5.0l,

EB au6cyl,
Old 07-11-2004, 03:39   #10 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

you might need to mod the front of youre auto.. thats a you might, as the 85le's bolt up with 4 bolts to the bellhousings but the 95le use 8 i think... im pretture sure u will be ok though..

THe engine went into an Na fairlane with 5 speed manual, we put an eb head on it with a wade 1004 cam... went damm good.

****** DONT USE EA-Ef cams in au motors as they haved different rocker ratios'
so if you have a hottie cam you have to use the head that cam was designed for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons