Sorry guys, for some reason the subscription I had on this thread disappeared, so I didn't get email notifications about your replies!
Currently, it is not perfect. When making a bracket to hold the cable (which shifts gears, kinda like a shimano gear cable on a mountain bike), it was originally wrong angle AND wrong distance from the shift linkage on the box. I only had Neutral, Reverse and Park (lol!)
Next change to the bracket involved playing around with the cable distance. This changed my gears to Drive, Neutral, Reverse (yay! driveable!).
Third change gave the correct angle for the cable to activate the shifter linkage, giving me 4 gears to change thru instead of 3. Currently I have 3rd, Drive, Neutral & Reverse. I now just need to re-move the bracket back an inch (& keep it on the same angle as it is now) so that the gears I select will be Drive, Neutral, Reverse, Park instead of 3-D-N-R lol...
I've been pretty busy lately so no report is available yet. I've done about 25 pages so far (mostly pix) regarding this conversion, but I don't want to upload it until I've actually finished with the EB, otherwise I might be giving dud information. So please bear with me! Sorry for the delay people...
It is not hard at all to do, but it is time consuming and a little "dicky", trying to get some things right (such as the damn bracket!). The report will include pictures & diagrams of the proper bracket.
Apart from the wiring, which was straight forward (with instructions thanks to Dellboy's contact), much of this install was done as I went along (making things up/improvise along the way).
Please note this is for E-series Fords with the 4 speed automatic. This won't work for 3 speed EAs!
As for testing of this, it shifts softly & sluggishly like a standard auto does. So when you're in tiptronic mode and wanting to +/- thru the gears, it has a bit of lag before it actually shifts. I learned to deal with this at the Bairnsdale Drags last weekend, where I was shifting at 5200-5500rpm and it'd actually change gears as 5800-6000rpm(!!!) The solution for this is an electronic shift kit thanks to the good people at www.mechanicalforums.com.au
(might not have .au on the end). Since the loom wires that the shift kit needs aren't modified when installing the BA shifter, the shift kit + BA shifter will go hand in hand.
I still have to fix up the cosmetics too, I have the vinyl for making a gearboot, but I need time to get all creative & pull out mum's sewing machine lol...
If you guys have any questions, feel free to post here or email me (firstname.lastname@example.org). I hope I can answer your queries promptly.