BA auto shifter in EB... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 02:25   #1 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

BA auto shifter in EB...

As the title suggests, I've put a BA shifter (with working SSS) into my EB. It is cosmetically 95% complete, just needing a vinyl or leather gearstick boot, and she drives like a BA :p

I love it! It's definitely worth doing, esp compared to a T5 conversion when you look at the $$$ involved (I've spend $450ish all up on this conversion)

Cheers,

-Dave-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 33.JPG (19.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 2 33.JPG (21.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 3 33.JPG (19.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg D 33.JPG (18.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg N33.JPG (17.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg R 33.JPG (18.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Shifter 2 33.JPG (25.9 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg Shifter bird's eye 33.JPG (13.8 KB, 150 views)
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2005, 02:27   #2 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Re: BA auto shifter in EB...

Oh, I have "Dellboy" (dunno if he's on this site or not) and his business partner Murray to thank for all of this becoming possible!

I thought I'd better add that I'm not the 1st person to do this, that honour goes to "Dellboy". Thanks guys! (if you ever read this)

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 05-02-2005, 22:32   #3 (permalink)

Looks awesome.Good job.Was there much involved with the wiring and that sort of stuff.Would be sick in my xr!!!
xr893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:26   #4 (permalink)

That is so awesome dude, very nice. How did it all come about, and what's involved, hard???? or could i do the same at any transmission mechanic????
La ChroniK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 23:01   #5 (permalink)

Even better. That is the first time I'd seen the placement for the gear indicator display. That's a great place for it.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:01   #6 (permalink)

man thats wicked. we need a "how to" on this
Old 05-08-2005, 06:14   #7 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Sorry guys, for some reason the subscription I had on this thread disappeared, so I didn't get email notifications about your replies!

Currently, it is not perfect. When making a bracket to hold the cable (which shifts gears, kinda like a shimano gear cable on a mountain bike), it was originally wrong angle AND wrong distance from the shift linkage on the box. I only had Neutral, Reverse and Park (lol!)

Next change to the bracket involved playing around with the cable distance. This changed my gears to Drive, Neutral, Reverse (yay! driveable!).

Third change gave the correct angle for the cable to activate the shifter linkage, giving me 4 gears to change thru instead of 3. Currently I have 3rd, Drive, Neutral & Reverse. I now just need to re-move the bracket back an inch (& keep it on the same angle as it is now) so that the gears I select will be Drive, Neutral, Reverse, Park instead of 3-D-N-R lol...

I've been pretty busy lately so no report is available yet. I've done about 25 pages so far (mostly pix) regarding this conversion, but I don't want to upload it until I've actually finished with the EB, otherwise I might be giving dud information. So please bear with me! Sorry for the delay people...

It is not hard at all to do, but it is time consuming and a little "dicky", trying to get some things right (such as the damn bracket!). The report will include pictures & diagrams of the proper bracket.

Apart from the wiring, which was straight forward (with instructions thanks to Dellboy's contact), much of this install was done as I went along (making things up/improvise along the way).

Please note this is for E-series Fords with the 4 speed automatic. This won't work for 3 speed EAs!

As for testing of this, it shifts softly & sluggishly like a standard auto does. So when you're in tiptronic mode and wanting to +/- thru the gears, it has a bit of lag before it actually shifts. I learned to deal with this at the Bairnsdale Drags last weekend, where I was shifting at 5200-5500rpm and it'd actually change gears as 5800-6000rpm(!!!) The solution for this is an electronic shift kit thanks to the good people at www.mechanicalforums.com.au (might not have .au on the end). Since the loom wires that the shift kit needs aren't modified when installing the BA shifter, the shift kit + BA shifter will go hand in hand.

I still have to fix up the cosmetics too, I have the vinyl for making a gearboot, but I need time to get all creative & pull out mum's sewing machine lol...

If you guys have any questions, feel free to post here or email me (djsmi4@student.monash.edu). I hope I can answer your queries promptly.

Cheers,

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 05-12-2005, 23:49   #8 (permalink)

i'm interested to know how you've built your gear indicator. i've got a B&M Megashifter mated up to my 4 speed. its taken quite a bit of ingenuity but it works perfect now. i just need an indicator due to me not using the megashifters standard base. where did you get that display from?
BeNcHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:12   #9 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

G'day mate,

I didn't make the indicator, I bought it off "Dellboy's" business partner/mate, Murray. His email address is fordfam@optusnet.com.au

I'm sure he'd be keen to make one for you! Just mention that you saw "Ghia5L's" display and that you're after one the same Tell him about your B&M Megashifter, otherwise you might end up with a display with a loom that's suited for the BA electronics, which would be next useless (won't work)!

Good luck! And that B&M Megashifter sounds pretty cool! (pix?)

-Dave-

PS to others reading this thread, I haven't touched the report for a while, I'm having trouble getting Park again (I redid the bracket again and just can't get the bitch right!) and have had some other things come up with uni, work, plus fitting some Kings Superlow springs The report will get done ONE day! This bracket is a real pain in the ass though...
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons