backfiring/sluggish acceleration. EB GL V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 00:58   #1 (permalink)

backfiring/sluggish acceleration. EB GL V8

can anyone help. I have a eb v8 series 1 and have a problem.
when started and driven cold, slowly it will start to missfire. then when driven the vehicle wll not react to throttle after crusing for 30 seconds. After coming arond a corner 500 m from my home, with the car dead cold, the vehicle wll not react to the throttle at all. if enough throttle is pressed and held, the car will sometimes backfire, and behave like it just off idle, the vehicle allways comes good after around 3 0r 4 seconds of doughyness and surges on without moving the throttle any more. when vehicle hot problem occours, but not as noticeable. vehicle allways seems flat when throttle first moved, but picks up in a couple of seconds if you hold your foot where it is. i am a mechanic and have swapped maf with another car, replaced coolant temp sensor, whole ignition system bar dissy body and hall effect sensor replaced, checked tps voltages, signal etc. suspect it may be in ecu because when it goes away, and vehicle surges, it goes quite well. Has anyone seen this problem before? any help greatly appreciated, running out of ideas.
ebv85L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2004, 01:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: backfiring/sluggish acceleration. EB GL V8

have you looked at basic things like spark plugs, leads and injectors?

http://www.fpvtickfordclubwa.com.au/phpBB2/index.php

http://www.tweecer.com

http://www.icenet.com.au/~pie
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:13   #3 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Has this started happening suddenly or has it been a progressive deline? What is the timing set to? O2 sensors, vacuum leak and fault codes would be worth a look.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:12   #4 (permalink)

I am not familiar with the efi V8, but I have had a lot of experience with Jap stuff and you symptoms sound very much like poor fueling. This is not necessarily the obvious fuel filter, fuel regulator, clagged injectors..., but can be loss of duty cycle signal to injectors, blown manifold gasket, dicky MAP/MAF and all the other things you have tried.

Remember when the engine is cold it requires more fuel to get some vapour action happening, whereas when hot the manifold does the vapourisation. Also when cold, the air bypass system will be in action to decrease plenum vacuum, add some emulsion and tell the ECU to add more fueling
Old 09-07-2004, 06:15   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv85L
can anyone help. I have a eb v8 series 1 and have a problem.
when started and driven cold, slowly it will start to missfire. then when driven the vehicle wll not react to throttle after crusing for 30 seconds. After coming arond a corner 500 m from my home, with the car dead cold, the vehicle wll not react to the throttle at all. if enough throttle is pressed and held, the car will sometimes backfire, and behave like it just off idle, the vehicle allways comes good after around 3 0r 4 seconds of doughyness and surges on without moving the throttle any more. when vehicle hot problem occours, but not as noticeable. vehicle allways seems flat when throttle first moved, but picks up in a couple of seconds if you hold your foot where it is. i am a mechanic and have swapped maf with another car, replaced coolant temp sensor, whole ignition system bar dissy body and hall effect sensor replaced, checked tps voltages, signal etc. suspect it may be in ecu because when it goes away, and vehicle surges, it goes quite well. Has anyone seen this problem before? any help greatly appreciated, running out of ideas.
I have this same problem with a EB 6cyl, and same as you i have changed dizzy, fuel pump, plugs, leads, purge valve, etc. I also get a WRN signal on the trip meter when its in starting and after I get it started and rev it a bit the purge solenoid hammers back and forth (the signal comes straight from the ECU). This car also has gas (dual fuel) and it exhibits the same symptoms when on gas. I starting to believe that the ECU is playing up, and I think i will send it to ford for a diag. I still havent changed the O2 sensor yet, but I dont think that affects the gas system. The car also seems to flood quite easily as well, which means the injector/s might be stuck open.
If anyone has ideas please post.
alaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:09   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Check timing...Some times the the advance or retard puts rotor way off dissy pin on cap ??? Then check EGR..Mine did it too with Cobra eec..It goes away when warms up and at wot...Which means it could be O2 sensers.....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:06   #7 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

The first thing that comes to my mind is the TPS switch (throttle position switch) which as it says it tells the throttle were it is if the volts are to low it will cause it to run rough and stall, if you take it to the dealer get them to do an on car test and they can tell you strait away. The second could be the ideal up motorwhich can cause the sme sort of symptoms hope it has been some help.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons