this is bad! WHATS GOING ON? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 00:00   #1 (permalink)
THE CAR CHICK!!!1985

Exclamation this is bad! WHATS GOING ON?

when i was driving around today i heard a squealing noise and i knew my front brakes would need to be replaced but the guy said in another 5 000 to 10 000 kms well anyway i pulled in told the guy about it he said must be brake pads need replaced but my mum said to me get him to have a look at the rears and i did but i had them replaced 10 months ago and had only done just under 20 000 kms well to my surprised they were more worst than the front ones i had no pad on one my sides at the rear. got them both replaced and i went back to where i got them done the last time to tell them that this had happened, they seem to think something else is up with the car.

SO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME OR GIVE ME IDEAS ON WHATS HAPPENING PLEASE?
cheekybabe85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005, 00:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: this is bad! WHATS GOING ON?

no one can tell with out looking at the car!
RAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:27   #3 (permalink)

Overhauling disc brakes can sometimes involve more than just replacing pads. Apart from sizing and skimmimg the rotors to ensure the new pads bed in correctly, other things should be checked to ensure that there is no binding. The pistons should move smoothly in and out of the cylinders (albeit with quite some resistance, which is normal), and the caliper assembly as a whole should move side to side to allow for takeup with pad wear. Some assemblies are quite tight but move they will, and must.

If the caliper assembly is frozen (which is common enough) it cannot move laterally and typically one pad (the inner) will wear down to almost nothing whilst the outer pad will look almost new. Overhauling brakes means checking all these things.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:05   #4 (permalink)
THE CAR CHICK!!!1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy98
Overhauling disc brakes can sometimes involve more than just replacing pads. Apart from sizing and skimmimg the rotors to ensure the new pads bed in correctly, other things should be checked to ensure that there is no binding. The pistons should move smoothly in and out of the cylinders (albeit with quite some resistance, which is normal), and the caliper assembly as a whole should move side to side to allow for takeup with pad wear. Some assemblies are quite tight but move they will, and must.

If the caliper assembly is frozen (which is common enough) it cannot move laterally and typically one pad (the inner) will wear down to almost nothing whilst the outer pad will look almost new. Overhauling brakes means checking all these things.
but i thought that they would be able to tell if the calipers had seized? when i got my rear pads done the last time the calipers seized and they fixed them using a kit or something.

the guy had a look at the rotors and sadi that they look fine and that he would not reccomend getting them machined or replaced.

so how can i check if these things move as they should?
or is there someone who i can trust to take it too to figure it out?
i would like to find out myself before i go going to people to get things done to it.

i read in my repair manual that it could have something to do with my master cylinder or my handbrake. but thats the thing my master cylinder is leaking and i know that it would need to be replaced and sometimes very rarely my park brake light comes on when im driving not slowly either but not too fast either. so i dont know what to do or where to start.
Old 08-04-2005, 20:36   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekybabe85
i read in my repair manual that it could have something to do with my master cylinder or my handbrake. but thats the thing my master cylinder is leaking and i know that it would need to be replaced and sometimes very rarely my park brake light comes on when im driving not slowly either but not too fast either. so i dont know what to do or where to start.
What?
Old 08-04-2005, 21:03   #6 (permalink)
THE CAR CHICK!!!1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIWGN
What?
what do you mean by what? the repair manual? master cylinder or my brake light coming on?
Old 08-04-2005, 21:07   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekybabe85

when im driving not slowly either but not too fast either. so i dont know what to do or where to start.
that dosent make sense.
Old 08-04-2005, 21:11   #8 (permalink)
THE CAR CHICK!!!1985

Quote:
that dosent make sense.
the park brake light comes on at different speeds not any particular speed.

i dont where to start to figure out the problem.
Old 08-04-2005, 21:15   #9 (permalink)

Is the park brake cable slack under the car when the park break is off?
Old 08-04-2005, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
THE CAR CHICK!!!1985

Quote:
Is the park break cable slack under the car when the park break is off?
i am not sure i do not know where to look to see if it is. what would it mean if it is slack?
thank you for your reply it is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons