Buying an 88 EA S - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2002, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Buying an 88 EA S

If you don't already know I've been looking for an EA Falcon for myself now and I've got some results.

I think I've found "the one". I haven't been able to find any other 5 speed at all, so I think I'll take what I can get. It's an 88 EA Falcon S sedan, 201,000km, 3.9 mpfi, 2.92 LSD, 5spd manual, A/C, tinted windows, snow flake wheels and has a spoiler and those stone reflector/side skirt things. It's just had front and rear main seals done, brand new clutch, front shockies, front brakes, 5 tyres, water pump, bonnet struts and the A/C has been fixed up. The interior is pretty good, a few stains on the seats but nothing carpet cleaner wont get rid of, it doesnt have cloth trim on the doors tho or a lid on the centre console bin. Exterior wise it's nearly perfect, the paint hasn't faded or anything, there is however a ding under the LH tail light assembly, the spoiler is a lil bit scratched on one side and there is a few scratches on the bootlid near where the spoiler is scratched. I've test driven it and nothing seems to be wrong with it, the gearbox is smooth, the clutch is smooth, gears dont pop out, the engine revs out freely, stops damn good (better than any other EA I've driven) and it also handled better than any other EA I've driven.

The price is the biggest drawback on the thing, they're asking $4,999, I've been able to get a trade in of $1500 for a torana that I got for basically nothing. He said he can't really change much with the price because of the work he had just had done to it, what I listed that had just been done is what the dealer had just done. But he did say he'd throw on another 6 months rego, pay all the on road fees and put in a new radio since the one in there doesnt work. All up I'd only have to pay $3500 out of my pocket. I'm starting to think it might be a good deal after all, I'd just like everyone else's opinion on whether it's a good buy or not and everyone elses experiences with 88 Falcon S'z
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2002, 01:02   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Well it may be possible to take the asking price seriously if the car in top condition including gasket recently done, etc. If so, it would make an excellent car. The manual MPI S was always the 'hero car' of the EA range.

Also, have you considered selling the Torry privately?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:43   #3 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Considered it yes, there is just too much that needs to be done to it to get a roadworthy for it, I would easily have to spend around a grand to get it roadworthy, I won't get my money back selling it privately. The thing is that the thing looks really originally, it's not till you drive it that you notice the rear shocks are stuffed, the brakes are stuffed cos of constant squeeking, the clutch is gone, the gearbox is sloppy and theres a noise comen from the engine bay. So I think the trade would be the best way to go, I'll let the dealer have all the problems

I don't think a manual with a 2.92 diff would be much of a hero but it does go pretty well, better than our current falcon which sadly wont be with us for much longer. Dad has called it quits with it cos of the oil leaks and other little problems with it, I would've taken it over but it's an auto and it's CFI, both of which I don't want. He's going to trade it for a 2002 manual Hyundai Elantra GL, it's 2nd hand and only done 11,500k's. An old lady used to own it but she couldn't drive it anymore cos she got a problem with her leg, she traded it for the exact same thing cept with an auto. We could only get 2k for it as a trade in, and again we dont want to sell it privately because there are a few things that would need to be done to get a roadworthy and it'd cost more than what it's worth

TQE's
Old 09-28-2002, 02:30   #4 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I say take it. I paid around 4k for an 89 Falcon S with 230km. It needs a new clutch now, has a slightly noisy diff, looks like a taxi, was a CFI and has some small dents. Other wise it is a good car that needs some care and attention from what looks to be a few years of neglect.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:17   #5 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Well I'm gonna buy it, its currently under finance, but if I don't get finance mum said she'd pay for it and I'd pay her back. Either way it's gonna be mine, trouble is waiting now, I hate waiting

And dad has decided not too trade the falcon either but he's gonna fix up all the problems, so it looks like we're gonna be having two EA's now hehe. Everythings looking great

TQE's
Old 10-01-2002, 21:43   #6 (permalink)
FastFords.org Owner

Buy it! i searched ages for a mpi with a manual and could only find clapped out ea's with dings and rust and they wanted 4.5k, i ended up getting a EA fairmont ghia which needed a respray and a rocker gasket for $3200 (auto shame shame). I am planning a recon and a manual in the next few months
New ride: EB GHIA, 5sp manual, pod filter, lightened flywheel, 9" diff conversion, locker, Superlows all round, full EB GT body kit, extractors and Zorst, EF XR8 wheels, Recaro Seats, GT Wheel and more.
Kenwood head deck, Sony Xpload 4" fronts and 6" backs and 300WRMS Fostgate 12" powered by avantgarde 250W RMS Amp. .
Turbo build now underway
Visit The new Re-Designed FastFords.org
FastFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:53   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Go for it, dude!

It's hard enough to find a manual MPI EA, let alone one in good nick!
That price isn't too bad, either, from what I've seen, a GENUINE factory MPI 5spd EA 'S' will pull at least 1-1.5k more than average.

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:28   #8 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Well I am definitley getting it, had another drive of it today, checked out a few other things and it's all OK. Only thing is it doesnt have a camber kit but that's not a big problem, but its first on my to do list seeing as its got new tyres on it.

I'm going back tomorrow to put a deposit on it, can't wait to pick it up now

TQE's
Old 10-02-2002, 04:55   #9 (permalink)
-

man, a ford dealer offered me $1000 for my EA the other day. as some from melbourne have seen my car, im sure theyll vouch for me when i say its not as bad as a lot of EAs ive seen out there.

$5k for an EA seems pretty steep to me... my brother got a series 2 eb fairmont on gas for $6500.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 18:30   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I'll vouch for you Jason. Your car is one of the neatest EAs I have ever seen. I thought my EA was pretty good in that respect, but it's got nothing on yours.

I would have smacked the guy if he offered me 1k for my EA.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons