Buying an EL GLi Wagon some q's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2005, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

Buying an EL GLi Wagon some q's

Hi, i am buying an El GLi Wagon, i have only seen it on the outside (never sat in it or anything) and i know the seller very well.

He has told me i can buy it off him for $5500, my had has talked to him and he said it had only 100 000Kms on the clock and that it has been babied, always washed on a saturday etc.

i have a few questions.

Did the GLi Wagons come with

ABS, Central Locking, Power windows (not too bothered about ABS or power windows but it would "Sweeten" the deal, but i do definatly want Central Locking)

it has a Factory Bullbar, but i would sell that and get a regular front bar, how much would i get for the bullbar, and how much would a regular bar cost me??

It Is a T-Bar Auto, in "Mid" blue (I.e Not sky Blue but not navy blue or royal blue).

i am going to have a look somtime in the next two weeks, i know it will be there still because it isnt advertised as for sale.

thanks in advance for your replies.

DAG-Nabit.com
FordLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2005, 02:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Buying an EL GLi Wagon some q's

i know the GLi sedans have ABS, central locking but no power windows. im not 100% sure if the wagons had ABS but id say they would.

Cam.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:00   #3 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

thanks for your reply

DAG-Nabit.com
Old 04-20-2005, 16:15   #4 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

i rang the owner yesterday and he said it has, ABS, Central locking (smart lock), Air con.

i will be test driving it next monday, so hopefully if i like it i will be buying it the same day.

DAG-Nabit.com
Old 04-20-2005, 21:12   #5 (permalink)

GLi Sedans do NOT have ABS unless it is optioned. Having many friends/relatives owning fords and driving a 97GLi Wagon myself, I know there is no ABS on them.
$5500 sounded pretty good before it hat ABS....
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 23:06   #6 (permalink)

As madmelon said: GLi's didn't come with ABS standard. central locking with key is std, but remote isn't. Be carefull replacing the factory b/bar if you have airbag, as the airbag may not function properly with a non-std b.b. You should also beef up the front suspension to deal with the extra weight (Heavier sway bar, heavier springs, stronger dampers)

GLi's didn't have fast glass.

Be aware that although 100,000 kms is low, it means it has only been driven about 150 kms/week (if it's a 1995 model.) This means that it really hasn't had a lot of time to heat up properly and get rid of all the gunk in the motor. Low kms can be worse than hi kms. For instance, if it has been serviced regularly for those kms, i.e. every 10,000 ks, it really means it has only had an oil change once a year!!! Now oil simply doesn't last that long if it isn't heated up to help clean the engine. My car does about 200 kms a week, but the oil is changed every 3 months regardless.

The same goes for the exhaust system and g/box. Low kms can spell disaster for exhaust systems, as the condensation accumulates.

My last car did 400,000 k's in 5 years on the original motor, (and it WASN'T a taxi) because all those km's were hi speed country kliks. Again: regular oil changes of the best quality.

Now all of this may have been done and I am simply talking through my hat!!!

Good luck
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:08   #7 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

thanks for the replys.

he musthave been wrong about the abs and smart lock.

a lot of the k's it's done have been highway Kms (to and from toowoomba/Clifton for the last 4 years, and i believe it's also been to cairns twice)

i will test drive it and get dad to thorough look over and see what he thinks.

the bar it has at the moment is for factory bumper with a ford factory bull bar, i will change this to a ford factory GLi bumper, it will be done at my dad's work they have worked on MANY falcons over the years quite a few with factory bullbars (yellow cabs brisbane (my dad runs the panel shop), they have done the bullbar-standard front bar convertion many times before).

DAG-Nabit.com
Old 04-21-2005, 06:40   #8 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

all fords after LATE EB2 have smart lock so youre right on smart lock just the abs you were off a little
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 17:52   #9 (permalink)

Sounds good so far. I thought you were going to take off the factory bb and put on some 4wd style bb., not a good idea

Check the cooling system too. Take it to a rad. place and have them do a litmus check, takes about 1 minute, and tells you the condition of the coolant. Gearbox is due for a service @ those kms. BTR actualy recommend maximum service intervals of 50,000 kms, but few people do this. I get mine serviced about every 40,000 kms, or once a year, whichever comes first. Check the rear tunnel bush too, they can wear. You will see a damp patch at the rear of the g/box if worn. Not hard or dear to fix. About $50 if you DIY. Some leaks can also come from the L/H side of the g/box where all the electrics join on. Diff is usualy indestructable, but can seem noisy, especially on the wagon, as there is no bodywork, e.g. boot etc., between that and the interior.

Check the rear spring shackles, including the pins,too, they are prone to wear/rust, but that should (??) be picked up on the roadworthy.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:39   #10 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

went over their today, the paint was different to what i remembered (it's darker) it's called Mauritious Blue (SP?), it drives very well and is comfortable to drive, it's just recently had the brake pads changed, a new muffler and exhaust installed, and had a service (not it's major 100 000k service, it isnt quite to 100 000 yet), the gear box selects well and doesnt make any odd sounds (both my dad and i drove it), the suspension is nice and smooth, dad check the underside of the car and said it looked in order, nothing harshly worn or anything.

it is a big improvment over my current car (89 EA, as it should be at 6 years younger).

we are picking it up next week to take it for a road worthy, and the current owner said he'd wash and polish it and put a full tank of petrol in it for us.

all in all, i would have to say i am very happy with it and hope there isnt anything picked up in the r/w next week.

click for picture 1

click for picture 2

click for picture 3

DAG-Nabit.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons