Ford Forums banner

Cheap EA's (1500-2000)

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  unknown user 
#1 ·
I havent read the ol' trading post for about the last 8 months, but picking it up last week for the first time i noticed that there were a fair few EA's in the less than 1500 bux section.

Has anyone here, or do you know of anyone, ever actualy bought an EA this cheap?

I am looking at buying an EA, and all im looking for is a good straight body with good paint. I will be rebuilding the motor, rebuilding the auto, and fitting a different fuel system, so the running gear isnt a worry. Just as long as it runs good enough to get a rwc is all im concerned about.

They seem like a bit of a bargin at that price (will be run on straight gas, so the tbfi setup will be removed). I owned an EA for my first year of driving and i bought it for 3700 dollars with rego and rwc in 1999 and it never missed a beat. Back then it was the cheapest EA by a long way in the trader.

But now even a few more years on, what would be the major pitfalls of the EA chassis that i might miss if i dont pay close enough attention to one when i go to look at it.

Ive noticed also that it isnt just private sale that cheap, there were two ads for car yards selling EA's for 2k with rego and rwc!

See less See more
#2 ·
Dunno about Melbourne prices, but over here I once got a licenced EA serI with OK body and paint for $800.

Then wrecked it down. Bwahaha.

#4 ·
The motor and tranny rebuild will be costing a bit. It wont be quite as SLOW as an xr6 or xr8 when its finished either ;) For what i plan on doing the motor and tranny has to be fully rebuild and tricked anyway, so there is no use buying an xr6 because the inital cost will be very high and it will only have to be all striped down anyway.

The car will be run on straight LPG using the mpfi manifold.

#6 ·
i bought i ea last year for $1500 (got down from $1800) prolly would of went lower but it was an old lady so didn't want to rip her off, been going strong since i got it only problem has been the ignition module went in it on monday left sitting in the school car park for almost 4 hrs waiting for nrma road assistance and then tow truck

#9 ·
EB

I have a mate, bought a EB fairmont, pretty clean. 1000 blown head gasket, he fixed it real cheap by himself and has had no dramas. if you have any mechanical knowledge its a steal.

I bought my GENUINE SVO for 3500 which i thought was cheap, and it hasn't caused any trouble yet.

I reckon just go for it, you should be able to get a perfect one for the job for around a grand. just be patient

thats my 2 cents

#11 ·
Yep, as Jack said, you can find some real bargains these days. I bought my EA off Venom XR for $1000 back in early February. Had to go all the way up to Penrith from Melbourne to get it but it was well worth it.

There were a few problems with it, namely the CFI:s6:, diff, clutch and fan, roof lining, centre console and it was in need of a service. It also needed a good wash and couple of coats of wax.

Anyway, 4 months and about $800 later it's much nicer, cleaner and MPI'd although it wasn't bad at first either, and the 5 speed's a bonus, about 50 times better than any EA auto!

I put some clear indicators on it the other day and i've given it a good wash over the weekend. I'll take some more pics and post them.

Cheers!

Sundeep

#12 ·
Ah sounds good :)

All im really looking for is one that is straight, nice paint, and a neat interior with a decent diff. LPG is a must also :) most of them seem to be anyway. Suppose having it running to start with would help to get a rwc too hey ;) hehe

#13 ·
There are some about along with alot of crap.

I picked up an S pak 5 speed, MPI $2200.00 but wrote it off 4 days later.

I then got a EA I Ghia for $2050.00 with RWC, so they are out there.

#16 ·
cool :)

i will probably be looking for a manual one, but i wont be using the gearbox or motor, so all that will be up for sale pretty much as soon as i find one that im looking for (about 4-5 weeks time id say). Anyone wanna start the bidding for it? (im in melbourne hehe)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.