Complete change of auto trans fluid - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 02:34   #1 (permalink)

Complete change of auto trans fluid

My BTR transmission isover due for a fluid change (100,000km) since rebuild and rather than just dropping the pan and replacing 4 Litres I would like to drain the torque converter as well.Does any one know how to drain the torque converter?
STRAIGHTSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 03:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: Complete change of auto trans fluid

There is no drain plug provided.

The only way is too pull of the cooler lines, put the hot side into an empty drum, and the cold side into a drum of fresh oil.
it is EXPENSIVE to do.

I cheated with mine, and cycled hydraulic fluid ( i obtained a 44gal drum at the right price) through it until it came clean, dropped the pan and changed the filter, cleaned the magnets, then swapped to TQ-95 until it was the right colour. ( iused over 30 litres of hydraulic fluid)

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:54   #3 (permalink)

Would it be safe to run the engine and completely drain the converter and pan by removing the hot cooler hose?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAIGHTSIX
Would it be safe to run the engine and completely drain the converter and pan by removing the hot cooler hose?
NO!!!
unless you can be assured of flow do it one quart at a time .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 15:04   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

See http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_F...Procedures.pdf
I always do a full change on both my BTR equipped Fairlanes every two years essentially following step 13 in the link but doing a litre at a time. i.e let trans pump out a litre, turn engine of, add a litre, start engine pump out another litre etc. I have also fitted a drain plug to both sumps (it avoid the spillis) although I still drop the sump to change the filter. I also adjust the band each time I change the tarns fluid.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:15   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice and link ,I have fitted a spin on oil filter after the cooler and I can take that off and collect the fluid there.Not to sure about the bands though, you would need a small torque wrench to do that and I have been told not to touch them,as the facings are so thin its not necessary.Aussieblue ,how do you adjust them and can you do it with sockets or are special tools needed.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:56   #7 (permalink)

ITs a special socket. I made mine by heating a 5/16 1/4 drive socket and whacking it onto the adjuster of a dead box.

IFIRC i have posted the procedure here before...do a search for band adjustment...maybe in the driveline section.

Many will tell you that the bands cannot be adjusted...thats bullshit. I do not adjust the bands in mine as a matter of servicing. I wait till the trans slips. My personal experience (I have an EB series 1.5) is that reverse is the first to slip. The first time that happens i adjust the bands at the FIRST oppurtunity. I do a lot of towing...boats and my van (it wieghs 2.5 tonnes empty) and i got 4 band adjustments and 360,000+ km out of my trans before I ran out of adjustment.

AS for the fluid change...litre by litre, although sounds good, i still prefer my method, as it ensures you remove all contaminants. Its not cheap (some joints just suck out of a 60 litre drum and process 30L at least....even dearer.

Another addition is a DECENT sized tranny cooler. Ef on ran a pissy little thing that i regard as useless, and i usually replace them with EA-ED units for customers.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons