Converting an analog signal to a frequency signal from a MAP sensor??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 00:33   #1 (permalink)
Mcccli

Converting an analog signal to a frequency signal from a MAP sensor???

Ok, heres what I want to do: put in a decent MAP sensor into my car (which will presumably transmit an analog voltage signal). Now apparently my EB reads stupid frequency signals from my MAP sensor. I'm thinking if I could convert this analog signal from my 'new' MAP sensor to frequency, I could use something like the chiptorque to alter the fuel and timing based on what the ECU reads coming in (ie. the frequency signal which has been converted from analog)
I realise this converter Im looking for would have to convert however many volts from the 'new' map sensor to a frequncy signal which is within what my stock MAP sensor sees, and thus would need some sort of a dial on it to reduce the new output frequeny to within the same range as the stock one (or within the same range as what the ECU is capable of reading)

ALSO, I do realise that doing this means that the number of load points that I previously had with the stock MAP sensor will have to be spread out up to the 7 or 8 psi I plan on running for now.....which is why the idea is a bit dodge.

Sorry bout the lengthy post - I know its such a drag reading long stuff, but thats what your here for isnt it??
Thanks guys
mcccy005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 16:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Converting an analog signal to a frequency signal from a MAP sensor???

Seriously buy a motec and a commodore sensor and start from there.

Lots of work ahead of you.

BUT

The chiptorque will work fine with your MAP and your ecu it isn't an interceptor it bypasses the stock ecu programs and runs it own with different scalars and tables which can be tuned to your engine on the dyno.
Old 05-18-2005, 18:49   #3 (permalink)
Felon

Exclamation Re: Converting an analog signal to a frequency signal from a MAP sensor???

Go to Dick Smith or Jaycar and grab an LM331

http://www.national.com/an/LB/LB-45.pdf
usernameremoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:35   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

It's a lot of muching around and the chiptorque may not even be able to alter the MAP readings because it is a function they probably wouldn't have looked for or even considered changing. Talk to chiptorque first before doing anything and see if they have access to the MAP transfer function graph.

Also consider going for an EMS Stinger, a nice and cheap aftermarket computer with tons of features. They are around $1k and if you talk to turbotrana he can make up direct plug in looms (if he is still doing them) and the unit itself at decent proces too.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:54   #5 (permalink)
Mcccli

Thanks for the help guys, but what can i say?? I like to do things as cheaply as possible!!! (so long as it still does what i need)
And if i can get away with some $50 converter or whatever it costs; and a $595 chiptorque chip, then its SOO much cheaper than the $2,000 it will cost for a custom ECU (including tuning). ANd the only thing I need the custom ecu to do that a chiptorque cant is (possiby) upgrade the MAP sensor; and since I'm not even rebuilding the bottom end at this stage, I won't be running a great deal of boost.
Might give chiptorque a call next week then find out more about that LB-45 if I have to.

PS - what advantage does the commo sensor have?? I thought they used MAF sensors anyways...?
Thanks again for your help
Old 05-20-2005, 00:02   #6 (permalink)

Commonwhores use voltgae not freq based sensors. less relaiable to interference but easy to intercept
Old 05-31-2005, 02:03   #7 (permalink)
Mcccli

Alrighty; I have found one of these converter thingys. However, a chiptorque representative 'believes' (but isnt really sure) that my map sensor can be changed to aftermarket to fit in with the current ECU??? Hm...will have to email chiptorque themselves about that.
In the meantime, does anybody know what range of frequency the stock MAP sensor operates at?? (I dont have one of those kinda multimeters to test that).
This converter I found can convert 0-5V to 0-20mA or 0-10V to 0-20mA.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:35   #8 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcccy005
However, a chiptorque representative 'believes' (but isnt really sure) that my map sensor can be changed to aftermarket to fit in with the current ECU???
Do you mean without a converter? No its not possible because the EEC is looking for a frequency input not voltage and there is no way of changing that with a chip/edit.

I really do think you are wasting time on this, you may get it to work but I doubt you will without multiple tunes and at around $100 per tune it will add up quickly. If chiptorque have full support of the EECs which I doubt they do, there are far easier ways to do it with similar results. Also even if you get the MAP converter to work you will have to alter so many maps in order to keep the engine functioning properly because the MAP sensor is used for multiple calcualtions which will be thrown out with the addition of a boost reading. I am also not sure if you can alter everything needed using a chip alone.

Anyway if you want to continue continue, the MAP outputs frequencies in the range of 80hz to 159hz.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons