Could this connection cause damage? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 18:05   #1 (permalink)

Could this connection cause damage?

There is a problem of the fuel pump not running when starting sometimes when the engine is hot. The computer may be stopping the power relay closing. I thought I could put a push switch in the cabin to overide the computer. If it happens now I manualy close the power relay and the pump runs and the engine starts.
Could 12v be connected to the pump or at some point to close the power relay?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump.jpg (5.8 KB, 53 views)
EA1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 09:39   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: Could this connection cause damage?

You could override the relay but I would be finding the actual fault instead. It coudl be the EEC but its more than likely a burnt out fusable link, bad earth or maybe the relay itself.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 17:49   #3 (permalink)

Because the problem is intermittent it is not easy to find the cause. I suspect a leaking valve in the pump because a manual said that the pressure had to be retained because the pump was disabled for a time when the engine is hot. The pump tests OK for pressure and flow and is not easy to change and is not cheap. Just been searching again and saw an ad for Inter-ject or similar which may clean the fuel tank.
It may be the power relay being affected by heat and I can check that with a fan heater.
The relay could be faulty and may be easy to check if I had a circuit of the actual relay which has electronic components.
I had hoped that someone had fixed this problem.
EA1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 18:05   #4 (permalink)
Felon

Exclamation Re: Could this connection cause damage?

Your problem is unlikely to be directly related to engine heat and I don't think the EA EEC-IV is smart enough to turn off the fuel pump on an over heating engine.

Try this:

When you turn the key to "run" (not start), normally your ECU will turn on the fuel pump for about 4 seconds and will then turn it off if it does not see any ignition pusles. You can normally hear this from outside the car. Listen near the fuel tank (might need two people). It does this via the fuel pump relay. You should also be able hear the relay click as the ECU turns the pump on and off.
If you're not sure which relay it is, check the wire color on the relay and the fuel pump (make sure you look at the color on the main loom plug to the pump, as the wires directly connected to the pump may be different).

If you test this when cold and test it again when hot, you should be able to figure out if the problem comes from the relay or the fuel pump.

I would be surprised if there were any electronic components in the fuel pump relay. Normally they are just an electromagnetic switch. I don't have an EA manual handy, but in the XF EFI you can use any old relay for the fuel pump and I'd be 99% sure you can with an EA too.

EFI pumps are susceptable to dirt and can seize up quite easily. I had an ED that stopped due to small pieces of grit in the pump. I replaced the pump, but was able to shake the grit out of the old one and get it going again. It's now a spare. Fuel additives will not help if you have a grit problem.

You could put a push button switch on the fuel pump, but make sure it's a push button (not permanently on). You don't want high pressure fuel gushing from a split fuel line if you have an accident. (Normally the ECU will turn the pump off 4 seconds after the engine stops, see above)
usernameremoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 23:20   #5 (permalink)

check connections to fuel pump relay and power relay.
had similar intermittent problem and found faulty connection to power relay.

Richie.
richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 23:44   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie
check connections to fuel pump relay and power relay.
had similar intermittent problem and found faulty connection to power relay.

Richie.
Those relays are under the Radiator fill area , expect them to be heavily corroded and in need of replacement .( the relays are about $5.00 at wreckers)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons