E-series and the head gasket problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 05:47   #1 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

E-series and the head gasket problem

Hey, im just tryin to find out about the Eseries problem of blowing head gaskets which i have heard so much about. I just bought an early E-series for cheap due to a blown (you guessed it) head gasket. So ive almost finished bolting it all back together, i just wanna know how to fix this problem so it dont happen in teh future. Ive fitted a copper head gasket for added strength, anything else?

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2004, 06:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: E-series and the head gasket problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Hey, im just tryin to find out about the Eseries problem of blowing head gaskets which i have heard so much about. I just bought an early E-series for cheap due to a blown (you guessed it) head gasket. So ive almost finished bolting it all back together, i just wanna know how to fix this problem so it dont happen in teh future. Ive fitted a copper head gasket for added strength, anything else?
Use decent coolant at a 50/50 ratio with water and change it around every 12 months, oh and don't let the engine overheat.

I reackon what kills E-Series heads despite all the big conspiracy theories such as poor water channel design(well they are big cos it's a big motor), stretching bolts and all that crap, after seeing many a E-Series head the real reason as far as I'm concerned is corrosion.

Ford must have went cheap with the alloy they choose for the E-Series head. For example I recently saw a alloy head pulled off a RB30 motor(1987 VL) and it had very very little corrosion of the the water ports. Whereas on a E-Series every head I have pulled off has corrosion on the water ports to some degree, especially at the entrance.

Which leads me to the conclusion the alloy in the E-Series head is kinda sht, and corrodes very easily whereas other alloy heads on other cars use a decent quality alloy that doesn't corrode nearly as much.

So with the E-Series make sure you treat your cooling system like it's the lifeblood of your car. Good quality coolant mixed at home with 50/50 ratio with distilled water, radiator is not blocked and possibly a new thermostat if it's old, and the head gasket should last 10 years.

Oh yeah and I hope you shaved the head so the contact surface is flat and you used new AU bolts, otherwise it won't have a very good seal.
youngNstupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 17:53   #3 (permalink)

AU Gasket and AU Headbolts usually help
only thing to do is keep the cooling system in check
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:14   #4 (permalink)

No point in getting the head shaved if the hardness test fails on the head. You MUST get a Brinall Hardness Test done, otherwise the head will fail. What happens is the quality of the molecular structure changes when this particular type of alloy overheats. Generally, head machining places can do this.
keep research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:00   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep research
No point in getting the head shaved if the hardness test fails on the head. You MUST get a Brinall Hardness Test done, otherwise the head will fail. What happens is the quality of the molecular structure changes when this particular type of alloy overheats. Generally, head machining places can do this.
Yes i'll keep this inmind.Thanx mate your the best.WTF!!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:00   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
If you have head gasket problems its caused by a very simple thing , to much heat , the gsk failure will normally be found as a consequence of the radiator failing to remove heat so thats the first thing to replace if there is any doubt at all about more than normal operating temps( $180 for red devil trade) . Ive NEVER had a head gsk go in normal use in an e series , but when building the motor I replace with a quality head gsk and new head bolts EVERY time its stripped ( why try to save $30.00 when it will kill your motor) .
The heads are a long casting so good cooling is vital and so is the best anti corrosive you can afford , take care with belts and be sure you have a good water pump checking the vital fliuds every few days until integraty is certain then keep it up , when replaceing a heag gst have the head checked and if needed skimmed for flatness and no twists , its cheap insurance and the most I have spent was a valve job skim and a couple of valves with heat soaking and some tig work to remove a twist , I couldnt see it but it was about .2 of a mil which is bugga all and was good value at under $250.00 trade. Take your time and the motor will go forever
good luck

atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:12   #7 (permalink)

I have seen a few EA-EL's coming thru my workshop with an extra bypass hose on the cooling system. It goes from the original bypass hose (with a T piece near the thermostat housing) to the rear of the head, with a fitting tapped into the head just behind number 6 spark plug. I assume it's there to help keep the rear of the head cooler. Anyone else seen this mod??
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:40   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
I have seen a few EA-EL's coming thru my workshop with an extra bypass hose on the cooling system. It goes from the original bypass hose (with a T piece near the thermostat housing) to the rear of the head, with a fitting tapped into the head just behind number 6 spark plug. I assume it's there to help keep the rear of the head cooler. Anyone else seen this mod??

G'day,
yes i have. Not sure if it helps though. Seen one or two with head gasket problems as well.

Interestingly, all the E series i have seen wih a gasket problem had all blown around #1.....shrugg

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons