EA Block - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 22:29   #1 (permalink)
Beasty EA

confused EA Block

Hey there,

My dad and i are purchasing a new block for my ea, it will be out of an EA, i was just wondering what type of things could i do to it to enhance its performance... is there anything, or what type of things just in general to make it better.

The head that i have has just been rebuilt, so dont say play with the head.

Hope you can give me some advice
Cheers
Pazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2004, 00:06   #2 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Re: EA Block

well for starters you could get it decked, bored and honed if you take 20 thou out of each bore it will increase it to roughly a 4lt. i highly recommend getting the crank, rods and pistons balanced and maybe some ACL race series pistons and bearings, also a high volume oil pump. you could get the rods shotpeened and the block o-ringed but it would cost alot of $$$ and not worth it unless your motor makes alot of HP.

most power gains lie in the head, cam, induction and exhaust.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:26   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
most power gains lie in the head, cam, induction and exhaust.
SPOT ON!

All you can do with the bottom end is bump up the comp to help out a little, and also a balanced bottom end will help keep the engine happier at high rpm. The AU bottom end is probably the best thing around for N/A performance.

Simon
Old 01-30-2004, 01:36   #4 (permalink)

You don't need o-ringing unless you are wanting boost and more than 300rwhp. Nor do you need shot peened rods if you aren't going to rev it past 5500rpm. If you want to rev it a bit the some decent rod bolts would be a good idea, these will fail first before the rod itself.

The ACL RACE kit is a good idea, it normally raises the compression slightly. It is of good quality, the bearings are tri metal and are more resilient to impurites/debris in the oil. If you have the skill and the time use file fit rings, generally pre filed rings are gapped on the large size.

Also I personally would not recomend a high volume oil pump, IMO the OHC motors don't have oiling problems. What a high volume oil pump will do is pump more oil to the top of the motor where it really isn't need, put more strain drive setup which is pretty average to begin with and most importantly sap extra power. If you want some "oiling" security you can increase the oil pump relief spring pressure slightly.

I would be looking for a cam to get some more power. The std EA cams are very small.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:39   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

If you're sure you're gonna use an EA bottom end, then I'd consider doing the following:

EB (or newer) pistons - This will enable you to run a newer head without dropping the compression too much.

Balance the whole lot - This helps dramatically with the smoothness at high rpm.

An EF/EL crank - helps with the balancing, as these have twice as many counterweights as the EA ones

There's more you can do, but it starts to add up to big dollars, and the gains aren't really worth it unless you plan on having some serious horsepower.

Like has already been said, the biggest gains come from the head, cam, zorst, etc. so concentrate your money on those.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:43   #6 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by not ford
Also I personally would not recomend a high volume oil pump, IMO the OHC motors don't have oiling problems. What a high volume oil pump will do is pump more oil to the top of the motor where it really isn't need, put more strain drive setup which is pretty average to begin with and most importantly sap extra power. If you want some "oiling" security you can increase the oil pump relief spring pressure slightly.
I agree with this 100%!

I've heard of some falcon sixes pumping the sump dry with these high volume oil pumps...

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Quote:
You don't need o-ringing unless you are wanting boost and more than 300rwhp. Nor do you need shot peened rods if you aren't going to rev it past 5500rpm. If you want to rev it a bit the some decent rod bolts would be a good idea, these will fail first before the rod itself.
yeah thats what i meant.

ARP rod bolts are good.

also tickford used a high volume oil pump on their EF motor surely they didnt fit it for no reason?
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:47   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

What they said, basically balance and compression is all you can do without spending huge dollars. All the expensive stuff is designed to keep it from grenading at huge KW/RPM.

Do the head anyway! Just been rebuilt, meh....Spend a few hundred on headwork, or get a newer head i.e. AU. Use a decent cam, and put an EF intake manifold on it. This will make very big gains for very little work/money. Hell, you could use anything up to EF serI cams with the EA head and get big improvements. Cost you $50-$100 for s/h EF cam.

Also consider the drivetrain, manual and diff are a must for a fast Falcon

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:23   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Quote:
Ive heard of the hex drive being stripped because the extra strain from a high volume pump.
Old 01-30-2004, 18:32   #10 (permalink)

i agree with NOT FORD 100% that is the best way to do it..

as suggested,a cam,zorst,cold air induction etc is the way to go.
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons