EA drama - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:22   #1 (permalink)

EA drama

Sorry its a long one, tried to explain all the symptoms, and the attempts at fixing it.

EA MPI 5 speed wagon
Often wont start, fuel pump doesn't fire up.
After anywhere from 3 to 50 turns of the key the pump fires up and the car starts, still usually takes another 3 attempts but.
When running cold and slight downhill, will rev to 5,000 no worries and goes pretty hard.
When warm, starves for fuel (smells like it anyway) will only go to 2 - 2,500 on flat road. Uphill (100k/h road) will cough and splutter wont go over 80k/h have to drop back to 4th. (get passed by VN's, not happy Jan)
At idle, when rough, it will nearly stall then pickup to about 1300rpm then near stall again. Can do this for a while or just smooth out.

Mate ran a light across the connector near the windscreen and said he couldn't understand the code coming from it.

Had a lose baffle in the tank, so I replaced the tank
Replaced fuel pump
Tried a second hand regulator
Tried a second hand green relay (fuel pump relay I think)
Couldn't find a brown one (EFI relay I think)
Now got a dissy module, but yet to fit it.

Sometimes if I rattle the relays it will start, but other times it wont. If I just keep turning the key sooner or later it starts anyway so not sure if actually does anything or is just coincidence.
Relays cost around $90 and $150 so dont want to just keep replacing the entire EFI system unless I know it the fault.

Anyone got any idea what is going on.

Any help appreciated, Gary
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 07:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: EA drama

Oh yeah one more thing, as if the above is not enough.

The tank seems to pressurise, old one did too. When I unscrew the cap, it blows air out and the cap pops off. Replaced the cap as I thought it may not be breathing, no change.
Old 04-13-2005, 14:04   #3 (permalink)

What do you mean by your mate couldn't understand the code coming from the ECU?
Can you tell us what the code was?
WhiteOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 14:12   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Yes, what was the code?
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 19:36   #5 (permalink)

He was expecting a series of pulses (as you would I suppose). But they were too intermitant and not a code as such or at least not one he could decipher anyway (so he says - he does know this stuff but). I dont know what it actually was as Im not familiar with the stuff.

Give me a carb and maybe electronic ignition. Im old school.
I take it the symptons arent a tell tale sign of anything in particular?

Thanks, Gary
Old 04-13-2005, 22:39   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Have you checked the votage on the lines to the fuel pump? Since you have replaced that and I assume you know it works I would trace from there back. Check the voltage on the lines. I would have to search on here to see what the correct numbers are, but they should be listed in this forum.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 00:19   #7 (permalink)

Voltage on lines should be battery voltage for 1 sec after the ignition is switched on.
See if you can get your mate to get the error codes again and post them here, we may be able to help.
WhiteOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:18   #8 (permalink)
FORD THUNDER DOWNUNDER

sounds like a mission,,I had an EA had heater relay problems same as you got engine tune problems. If you can hear relays clicking when your problem occurs you must find wich one. Start with some contact spray do all your ignition and fuel electrical plugs, open them first. Then check Dizzy cap and rotor/s,plugs then put fuel gauge in fuel line so you can see it clearly from the drivers seat.
I'm sure you will sort it from here.
KILLERME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:39   #9 (permalink)

Thanx for all the help so far people,

I have checked the voltage at the pump, its fine, it does switch off after about a second or so. I found out that was normal, as it stops if the crank doesn't turn, and fires up again when turning over, it does that.

The pump is brand new (VDO in a Goss box).

Will do the code thing again, and post results.

Ive been told the EA's have 3 earth rails in the engine bay where different thingies earth to, cant seem to locate all of them, as it could be a dickie earth I suppose.

Hey, i have got a match but, if all else fails I may be toasting marshmallows. Nah maybe not, but it is getting frustrating.

Gary
Old 04-17-2005, 06:28   #10 (permalink)

Havn't forgotten, will get to codes ASAP, I've got assignments due at Uni (god I feel like a teenageer) and work (old again).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons