EA or EB? First Car... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2003, 04:04   #1 (permalink)
simmo126

cool EA or EB? First Car...

Well, looks like I will be purchasing a Falcon as my first car... But I was wondering which is better out of the EA and EB? They look pretty much the same, but what differences are there? I know a lot of you will snicker at this, but I'm after an automatic
Anyway, I'd appreciate it if someone could outline the differences, and which one is more reliable mechanically. Also, what are you getting with fuel consumption? I will be travelling on highways and freeways mostly; rarely going into the city. That's what the train is for. Heh.
They're a great car; first taste of one was in my Uncles AU sedan. Beautiful.
Thanks for all your help everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2003, 04:10   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

G'day simmo, welcome to the forums.

A few people may disagree with me, but I think that the most important thing is getting a top example of either EA or EB, or even a 4.0 EB/ED if you can find one in your price range. There are lemons of any series, though on average, the later the model, the more reliable it is. That isn't to say I'd take a beaten up EB over an immaculate EA, as many people would!

As for the changes, they are detailed on http://www.eafalcon.com/generalinfo/index2.htm - the EB's changes were mostly to the suspension. Throughout the EA to ED, a myriad of engineering improvements were constantly being phased in. No one could know all of them, but needless to say the ED was virtually an all-new car compared to an early EA.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:12   #3 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

Early EAs had a 3 speed auto gearbox, which wouldnt be as good for highways but is only worth $600 to replace. later EAs and EBs have 4 speed autos, they are worth $2000 to replace (ouch). I have an EA II 4speed auto.

as for fuel consumption, there are quite a few out there with LPG gas conversions - but watch that the compliance plates have been renewed.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:28   #4 (permalink)
simmo126

Thanks for that fellas; it was a great help. They are great cars, i just need to make sure I don't buy a lemon, as you said.
Old 05-21-2003, 15:52   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

well IF you have the cash I would be looking at an EB series II ( 4.0i - 4speed Auto ) preferrably with less than 150k on the clock, theres nothing wrong with the EA's but they seem to be more mistreated than any other Falcon out there! God I see some crap heaps on the road

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 02:42   #6 (permalink)
ED falcon Turbo driver

gday mate...... as the others have said, you can find some great cars out there, EA, EB or ED.

From a technology point of view, an EB series II or ED is much more advanced than an EA.

The 4 speed autos in EB and ED will rev alot lower, and fuel consumption will be better than an EA series I 3 speed.

EB II and ED benifited from suspension, engine and body strenghening, an ED has 30% better side crash protection than earlier models and also has collapsable steering.

At one stage most ED's had standard ABS, which works wonders when you're looking at things u shouldnt when driving hehehe.

EA's and EB's are a teriffic car, but an ED is the better of the 3!!
93 falcon futura turbo- GARRETT T04E, 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust, PWR front mount, ED XR front seats rear seat and door trims, LTD woodgrain around shifter clock and deck, aftermarket red dash dials, pedders lowered suspension, 17 inch polished speedy ravin rims, tinted tail lights, clear front and side indicators....... coming soon- 3.9 mini spooled diff!!!
mickmalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
Damien28

Ive got a Series 2 EB Fairmont which is my first car and its a bloody good car. had a few problems with it but had them fixed and it seems to run great now.

i did a country drive the other weekend and off a tank i got about 650 k out of the tank which about the last quarter was city driving. pretty damn reasonable i thought.

mine is an auto also, (im lazy) and they are a nice car to drive until i hop into the old mans statesman and take that baby for a burn. lol.

but other than that id proberly say an eb over an Ea one of my mates has an EA and it just i duno aint as good as my EB prolly coz i like my EB more and im just blinded by the love for my car haaha but yeah mine would definitly be better but hes was also cheaper so i guess ya getwhat ya pay for.

ne ways

good luck in finding ya car mate,

damien
Old 05-22-2003, 18:10   #8 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I'd say pick an EB before you pick an EA. I've owned both and found the EB's to be that little bit better and with the 4ltr EFI you cant really go wrong. EA's are only good if you know exactly what the history is like and/or you buy one from a grandpa with 40,000k's on the clock(yeah like that's goin to happen) but you never know! keep ya eyes peeled.

my 2c
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 22:10   #9 (permalink)
Mechanical Dumbass

i agree, try and get an EB2, i just got mine for $3200 in good nick...its manual tho, im not quite sure the differences in value for an auto, but either way its a very nice car for the money
Old 05-22-2003, 22:19   #10 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

EA2's - it's pretty hard to pick up a decent EB with a manual. I'd hold onto that if you can. Plus for that price you cant really argue with it! Value seems to depend on which state you live in. I'm not sure what the difference is in Canberra but in Adelaide you can find that auto's are a dime a dozen. Manuals for that matter are rare! Not sure on dollars tho!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons