EA Fairmont into EA GL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 07:49   #1 (permalink)

EA Fairmont into EA GL

Hi all

I have the opportunity to pick up an unregistered EA Fairmont pretty cheap (about $600.00) and was wondering of it is a reasonably simple task to transfer all the good bits into my 30th anni EA GL wagon? While I have to take a good look at this thing, it doesn't look all that bad. I am thinking engine (if it has MPFI plus mines blown a head gasket), auto (maybe), ECU, wheels (it's got mags), some suspension bits, some interior bits (trip computer, cruise (maybe) etc) - generally a spare parts bin in my backyard....

Good value, yes?

Cheers
Bruce
Speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Re: EA Fairmont into EA GL

I dunno about how swapping the engine & trans would be straight forward... And I'm not sure what model your Fairmont is (Series 1 or 2?) coz that might mean u need to figure out ways for (assuming it's a series 1) an MPFI 3-speed car's ECU to be put into a CFI 4 speed (keeping the 4 speed over the 3 speed of course!). If it's a series 2 then I spose it'd be much simpler doing the swap.

However, why swap the whole engine then taking the MPFI stuff off the Fairmont (intake manifold & fuel rail/injectors I think) & maybe the head (and replacing the head gasket with a *new* one) and putting it on the wagon's bottom end would be just fine? If you've got $250ish to spare, hunt around for an EF head & rocker cover

Either on here or the other FordForums there is a thread somewhere about CFI to MPFI conversions, as they're quite popular among EA owners.

Interior swap should be pretty simple (doorskins, seats, etc) but I dunno about electrics such as trip computer, dash, etc due to differing fuse boxes (I think).

I'm sorry that I'm not that much of a help, but I just want to warn you of the possible quibbles that might come up. Post up some pix when you're done though mate!

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 20:31   #3 (permalink)

Cancel this

It is an older series Fairmont - 3 speed, no computer, CFI etc so I won't be buying it.

Cheers
Bruce
Speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 23:20   #4 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Maybe ask whether the seller is willing to wreck? Then you could buy the interior on its own... Depends on how keen you are really I spose.

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons