ea fairmont overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2003, 21:29   #1 (permalink)

frown ea fairmont overheating

took ea into mechanic yesterday, and it comes out with a $351 price tag on it for repairs. according to him, the radiator was blocked, so it had a clean out and a few tiny replacements of a few hoses, thermostat etc..

get it back today, and the car is overheating worse. He reckons cause its a new thermostat that it takes awhile to wear in, and he even said the needle for temp gauge might rise really quickly and then drop quickly.

Im gunna have to take the car back to him tomorrow as I need to go to geelong on w/e and dont wanna be left stranded in little river.

can someone tell me if this was expensive though, as i am a little bit sus.

parts -

top & bottom hose - $43
coolant - $25
thermostat and seal - $24.20
radiator clean and repair - $130

then labour was $90 + GST of $31

I could have bought a new $#@!'n radiator for this price

your thoughts people?
mjward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2003, 21:36   #2 (permalink)
cArSiK

Re: ea fairmont overheating

The price probably is a little over the top , however dont skimp when it comes to your cooling system especially this time of year....looks like he did the works tho...

james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 21:43   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

The price for those parts sounds about spot on actually. It is a fact that it does take a couple hundred k's for the thermostat to settle in. Where is the needle sitting? Is it right up at the top or half way? If it's half way, and not rising no matter what, then you're alright.

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:24   #4 (permalink)

well.... start the car... within 2-3 min of running... temp gauge will shoot up to a little over 1/2 way. stay there for a sec then come back down to about quarter.

Will continue to do this as long as the car is running.

Considering the car usually runs with no indication at all (tep gauge) this is freaking me out.

Can someone explain why it would do this? The mechanic also said it would take a little to wear in, but seriously.... should it be overheating that much.

I am worried it will do more damage, and possibly a crack the head. I dont want to be game enough to test it out, and then find out that i am in for a new head.

Also am dreading the next hot day, as i dont think i want to run the car.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:29   #5 (permalink)
known as tibbo

maybe the clutch fan is not the best....It is about the only thing he didn't do
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 13:44   #6 (permalink)
As Sober as Steve Bracks

Could be the clutch fan dude....Mine has had everything done (new head, new water pump, new hoses, new thermostat and housing, new coolant, new radiator, new overflow bottle and new coolant temp sensor) and it still goes up to the bottom line of the NORMAL section during normal driving, and a little bit over during really hot days.... It does however still go up and down, but im not losing water so im not worrying...

I've gotta get a new fan this weekend, im strongly thinking on getting thermo fans but cant be bothered stuffing about LOL
Old 11-18-2003, 18:32   #7 (permalink)

took it back to mechanic and we replaced the thermostat again, and now there is no needle variation. At running tempreture the needle is virtually in the middle of the guage.

Is this normal?

The mechanic ensures me that it needs to run at this temp to run efficient?

Considering the car has always run on or below a quarter on the guage it still concerns me. Is there a different type of thermostat that you can get to run the car at a colder tempreture?

Thanks for you help guys.

P.S Car is automatic :)
Old 11-18-2003, 21:02   #8 (permalink)

MIne was always cold but seeing I had to change the thermostat cover I decided to change the thermostat. Now sits on halfway with occasional increases. However what is of most interest is my fuel ecomnomy has improved out of sight. Used to have to fuel up every 4 work days (approx 320klms give or take.) Now it is 5 or so days {over 400 klms) And appears to be improving more as the computer learns.
Old 11-18-2003, 21:47   #9 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

If your engine is running cold the ECU runs the engine rich to warm it up, hence the bad fuel ecconomy

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 22:14   #10 (permalink)
2.77 is a tall ratio :S

It is normal for it to run at half temperature when the thermostat has been replaced. I just did mine and it is running like this which means better fuel ecconomy.
smut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons