EA Falcon vs VK Commodore - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2003, 09:21   #1 (permalink)
donuts2001

EA Falcon vs VK Commodore

Tonight I tried dragging one of my friends off at the lights(as you do) and he owns a VK commodore and I just can't beat him!!

Granted he has a 2.5" exhaust and a manual, but my car has a 4speed Auto, 3.23 diff and XR6 cam(everything else stock, though heads been reco'ed recently) which I would have thought would have been enough to beat the pants off a VK.

But to add salt to the wound my other friend also has a VK which is a 3 speed Auto and only mod being some extractors, and he beats me as well!!!

They seem to get a 2 meter lead at the start until about 20km/h and then my car keeps up. Is there something wrong with my car, or are VK's really that fast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2003, 13:13   #2 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Umm your car may have a problem.
Were they V8's?
In the ED i was never beaten by a VK but once i was creamed by a VH 308.
I would think you would wipe the floor with them with those mods.
Other than that i dont know why you lost.
When i lost to a VL a few months ago in my XF it inspired me to make my car faster. Now $2500 later no VL except maybe a turo or 5 litre (yet to try) can keep up.

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 17:04   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
or are VK's really that fast?
No, they're not. I guess a manual VK with exhaust and other stuff would give an EA a run for it's money, but there is no way you should be beaten by a 3 speed 202. Heck, at the moment my car runs cfi and a 3 speed auto and even I would be embarassed losing to a VK.

I'm thinking that either your car has problems with something (throttle cable???) or the VKs have some pretty freaky mods under the bonnet.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 17:29   #4 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Might be worth putting her on a dyno mate... just to see how she is doing.

However, a friend of mine had a 5 speed VK once, injected, extractors etc. It was surprisingly quick, and I would put my money on it to beat quite a few auto EA's. It turned the rubber like crazy.
Old 02-19-2003, 20:01   #5 (permalink)
{';'}

My brother used to have a "electronic fuel injected" 202 in his VK. It had extractors and a sports exhaust. Surprisingly it was pretty quick. Never actually got to "drag" EAs though, so couldn't tell you how well it would go against them. But I must say it was definitely quick off the line and it wouldn't surprise me if it beat a few EAs. >:(

Now he has seen the light and drives an EF Falcon Wagon (for work) :) Needs all the torque for his tools etc.
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 23:29   #6 (permalink)
brenlam

Is the VK the equivilent of the EA (model wise) I always thought it was the vn?
Old 02-19-2003, 23:35   #7 (permalink)
brenlam

Also how would an EA 1991 series II cfi go against a 1991 series 1 EB cfi both 4 speeds? And what sort of Kw difference is there?
Old 02-19-2003, 23:59   #8 (permalink)

No chance in hell is a 202 VK gunna beat an EA. Maybe an Injected VK with a few mods V a Stock CFI EA or a 5.0L VK will beat an EA but otherwise NO WAY!! Id say you car has problems!
Hey, you never know, it could just be the Driver. Try improve your takeoff method, hold the break down, acellerate to about 1500rpm then relase the break and smothly but fast, hit the gas the rest of the way! Then c how u go. Id be ashamed if i was beaten by a 202 VK. My XE spac (manual) would whoop the arse of most practically stock 6cyl VKs on the Road!
A stock 5.0L VK is only rated 120kw at the fly and i think there about 1500 Kg and a stock EA mpi 139 kw @ about 1500 kg.
Id say your car is sick man. Id have it looked at asap.
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 00:21   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Quote:
Originally posted by brenlam
Also how would an EA 1991 series II cfi go against a 1991 series 1 EB cfi both 4 speeds? And what sort of Kw difference is there?
If they have the same diff then in theory they should be exactly the same. there is no KW difference - both 120kw.
Old 02-20-2003, 00:24   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

To give credit where its due, I raced a white VK 5.0 4 speed manual and it marginally beat my (at the time) stock 5 speed EA. they may only have been rated at 120kw but they have a bucket load of torque. I saw an old add for a VK when they were new and the slogan was " Now we're torquing"
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons