Ea Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2004, 15:59   #1 (permalink)
Mad Redhead

Ea Help!

Hi all,

I'm new here but have decided to say stuff it all and beg for help!

We have an EA (it's his - MY car of choice is my 88 rolla) and it has major identity issues. It has decided it doesn't like being on the road anymore, and in February it blew it's head.

Now we have a friend who's a mechanic and he got the head reco'ed and got some nice new gaskets etc. The two men put it back on, turned the engine on and there was this god-awful noise. The mechanic turned it straight off and said the engine was dead, get a new one. He reckons the noise is coming from the bottom end.

Well as we are totally broke it has been sitting in the driveway since then and we've been using MY car (reliable cute little thing that it is).

Now it is coming up to rego time. My dad and I looked at it a few weeks ago and after listening to it etc have decided that the noise is coming from the top (the head), back towards the firewall, NOT in the bottom end at all.

I actually drove it. Now don't go AHHHHH! cos if the engine's dead and I have to replace it anyway, what's the big deal about driving it??? It drove very slowly, in spurts, and now I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

I am not bothering with our mechanic friend cos he is too busy and doesn't believe me when I say it's not the bottom end, he knows best!!!

I can't afford a mechanic unless I know for sure what it is. One of my pet hates is getting it to a mechanic and them trying to fleece me cos I am a chick. They get annoyed when I know what I am talking about (most of the time I do anyhow, otherwise I crap on lol). I am fine with getting a mechanic to do the work and register the thing but I want to know what it is first.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS???

Thanks in advance,
Bindi
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 19:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ea Help!

Where are you at Bindi? My mechanic, John in Adelaide is legendary. Here's an example: I got an NA Series 1, 185,000kms on dual fuel. Started running on 5 at idle. John was away at the time on holidays, so off I go for a diagnostic at a well known motor engineer who says its a burnt valve/maybe head also. Circa $1600 all up to fix. Shock horror!
Waited for a week: John came back, lifted the bonnet, got me to flick from petrol to gas and back again at idle while he sprayed DWF around the intake. Finally announced with a grin– its just ya manifold gasket mate! Done the next day $85 all up. Running like a jet ever since. This is just one story. Honest, reliable, enjoys his work, communicative and accessible. Me and my family have been taking our cars to him for years. Every capital city should
have one like him. But I guess your not in Adelaide?
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 23:48   #3 (permalink)
Mad Redhead

Nah sorry mate, in Blue Mountains NSW. Have called in a mobile dude who says he thinks he knows what it might be... will let you know what he says! I am calling him in as I can't get it to a mechanic as it is not too driveable.

Ta,
Bindi
Old 07-20-2004, 05:58   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Nah sorry mate, in Blue Mountains NSW. Have called in a mobile dude who says he thinks he knows what it might be... will let you know what he says! I am calling him in as I can't get it to a mechanic as it is not too driveable.

Ta,
Bindi
Ok first things first, the Falcon Inline 6 bottom end is bloody strong, it's almost impossible to break. What let the EA's down and later E series falcons is the cylinder head material and gasket. Now best way to go is to look (sorry gotta use techy words here) into the timing chain, valvetrain area, i believe when they put the engine back they didn't set the timing right, or broke something in the valvetrain. Don't take it as gospal but from what you described it's definitly pointing in that area.

Oh by the way, i live in the Blue Mountains, so if you see a Red AUII XR6 cruising the Great Western highway chances are it's me, give us a wave.

Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:06   #5 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Hey bindi ,

Good to see another chick giving it to the blokes that think we're all just dumb women ..... well I am but I'm good at covering it most times

Gary .... you beat me to it

I was thinking timing chain myself ..... hard to believe I know but thats what I was thinking ... happened to a mates EB when he rebuilt his engine & buggered up

:fairy

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:06   #6 (permalink)
Mad Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Ok first things first, the Falcon Inline 6 bottom end is bloody strong, it's almost impossible to break. What let the EA's down and later E series falcons is the cylinder head material and gasket. Now best way to go is to look (sorry gotta use techy words here) into the timing chain, valvetrain area, i believe when they put the engine back they didn't set the timing right, or broke something in the valvetrain. Don't take it as gospal but from what you described it's definitly pointing in that area.

Oh by the way, i live in the Blue Mountains, so if you see a Red AUII XR6 cruising the Great Western highway chances are it's me, give us a wave.

Gary.
Oh I'll wave, but you may not SEE me as my red rolla and I BLUR past you :) lol

As for the techy words, most of em I understand, the ones I don't know I ask and learn

More has come to light. If ur interested slide over to the E-Series forum (general discussion)
Bindi
Old 07-21-2004, 04:36   #7 (permalink)
Mad Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Nature
Hey bindi ,

Good to see another chick giving it to the blokes that think we're all just dumb women ..... well I am but I'm good at covering it most times

Gary .... you beat me to it

I was thinking timing chain myself ..... hard to believe I know but thats what I was thinking ... happened to a mates EB when he rebuilt his engine & buggered up

:fairy
Hi dahhhhhling,

Yeah most of the time I have a fair-ish idea of what the hell I am talking about... and it's nice being a chick that some wreckers have tried to fleece and it hasn't worked (suckers!!!).

Hubby is a bit more literate but I can reverse park him under the table, any day of the week.

Good to meet another chicky babe here

Bindi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons