EA possible purchase ??????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2003, 03:04   #1 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Question EA possible purchase ???????

Hey guys,

I am looking at an EA to buy & am wondering if anyone could let me know what to look for ...... Are there any little things over & above what you look for normally in a car, in this series. Any little hazards ????

I have one in mind & it looks the goods for a standard car, & the terms seem great as well.

Any hints would be appreciated

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2003, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Re: EA possible purchase ???????

well rust around the wheel arches, head gaskets blow around 200-250 thou kays, P/s leaks and coolent leaks are not rare, Manuals check the firewall to see if the clutch cable has pulled through, check to see if the pedal box isn't cracked and the pedals arn't sloppy and moving sideways, power window motors fail and become lose in the doors.

well thats all i can remember for now... probably remember more later on tonight.

Cheers

Ben

Now a P6 351 LTD
White XF GHIA for sale PM me
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 05:10   #3 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Thanks GhiaEB .....that gives me a start ......

Any others ??????

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Old 06-26-2003, 10:44   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Look out for brake shudder (warped front discs), double check the auto if it's a 4 speed as they are costly to replace, look for stretched throttle cable, and faulty thermostat giving an abnormally low reading on the temp gauge and making the car run rich. I also recommend checking all underbonnet hoses. Most of this stuff costs next to nothing to fix, but makes the difference between a good or bad example.

Other rust areas include around front and rear windscreens and in the boot under the rubber seal.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 18:40   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

-Oil Lid for any of the white crap for head gasket problems.
-Radiator/ radiator hose (check pressure)
-Listen to engine, for any wierd sounds.
- obvious checks for engine/tranny and radiator levels.
- condition of rocker cover and seals.
- condition of fanbelt and excessive play in fan.
- leaking tranny look underneath at the joints
- sump- diff leaks
- condition of hoses/ clamps
- a look under the car for 'welding'- 'scraping' and condition of
paintwork if one panel ahem looks newer than the other.
- basic shock test- condition of suspension brushes.
- get a multimeter out and check voltage is constant set voltage
are being met - not less or more. Good indicator of possible
condition of electrics. Ford manual should indicate standard
volatge for call eg- 12V
- rust checks in doglegs under the bonnet seals and the bottom
of the doors as well
- switch on the car make sure the light dissapear with 5-10
seconds if cold started.
- while stationary shift through the gears (with brake on) and see
for clean shifts.
- take the car for a drive at various speeds
if you tap gently on the accellerator and it responds instantly
indicates the motor has had a easy life.
accellerate 20-60- 3/4 throttle
60-80 1/2 throttle
cruise 80 for 3 minutes
sit 100 for 5 minutes
3 stop starts don't floor it just ease it off the line and you can
usually feel if the motor straining or not in no time.

when you arrive back in the driveway repeat the above mech checks. If this does not find a error you've got a nice car. Otherwise knock him/her down on price till they cry for mercy.

-Hold your hand over the exhaust to see if it has major leaks.
-Stick a finger in the exhaust pipe, see how clean it is, if its using oil you should find it all over your finger.
-Tap the panels to see how much they fell like metal or bog underneath.
-Check the tyres for uneven tyre wear, could be as simple as needing a wheel alignment, or could be something worse, well replacing a few ball joints or tie rod ends.
-Check the heater blows hot air, and the a/c blows cold.

If you are at a point you think you will buy it, turn every button, lever, switch, lights, etc, on and off and make sure they work to your liking, you will have to live with it.

Well as the saying goes if it feels old and worn out, walk away, unless you want a project.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 18:40   #6 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Travis
Look out for brake shudder (warped front discs).
hehe fogot about that my car has a heavy shudder when braking....

Cheers

Ben

Now a P6 351 LTD
White XF GHIA for sale PM me
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Look out for brake shudder (warped front discs), double check the auto if it's a 4 speed as they are costly to replace, look for stretched throttle cable, and faulty thermostat giving an abnormally low reading on the temp gauge and making the car run rich. I also recommend checking all underbonnet hoses. Most of this stuff costs next to nothing to fix, but makes the difference between a good or bad example.

Other rust areas include around front and rear windscreens and in the boot under the rubber seal.
Great post JT! Sums it all up nicely.

One thing though, if you can get a good 4 speed example go for it. The 4 speeds are much better than the old 3 cog in more ways than one!

Check for stress cracks appearing in the door jambs around the latch, and in the boot under the trim near the spare wheel well.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:12   #8 (permalink)
Ford Nut

chech for backlash in the diff (knocking). to do this jack the rear wheels off the ground and if either of the wheels move a bit without the tailshaft or the other wheel moving, the diff has seen better days.

if an auto, chech for clunking when put into gear and when gears change.

go over the WHOLE car for rust, concentrating on the spots already mentioned.

when driving jusr listen for noises and see if you can feel vibrations, knocks and clunks through the steering wheel and brake pedal.

check to see if the clutch on the fan works properly, when you start the car when the engine is cold the fan shouldnt spin and when the car gets to operationg temp it should spin (trust me you will hear it).

Look for leaks around the steering rack, especially the pressure switch.

dont buy a car if the air con doesnt work, it could cost you nearly $1000 to get it fixed, depending on the problem. mine is stuffed and is gonna cost me nearly $350 to get it fixed.

thats all i can think of for now, there is plenty more stuff. in a nutshell, EA's are generally a good reliable car if they are looked after but there is plenty of them out there that are lemons.

if you are planning on spending a shitload of money doin up an ea, reconsider it because you wont see that money again when you go to sell it.
Old 06-28-2003, 00:59   #9 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Thanks heaps guys,

I took her for a test run today & she has a few little issues but I am getting this car off a mate & he is fixing them all before I get her.

Basically its unregistered but the sale price of $1200 is with a blue slip so I can pay for her & walk into the motor registry & have drive out with a fully detailed car with 12 mnths rego.

I dont think it a bad deal & theres NO rust anywhere..... yes I did check for bog & theres none .....gotta luv country cars

She drives nicley & I think there must be a little lumpy cam ......shes only a 3.9:( but has more power than I ever remember the wagon to have and she sounds quiet nice too ......It was loverly to be in a car with power steering too, after the lack of it in the wagon

There were no shudders on breaking

She's a 3 speed auto (only thing I'm not impressed with, but I spose I can live with an auto for a while)

So basically I think I will get her but it will be about a fortnight so he can fix up the little bits, but thats mainly a full detail & a bit of a exterior clean up.

When i get her I will post up some piccys for all to see

Ohhhh PS ......... Yayayyyyyy for 12 slotters

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Old 06-28-2003, 18:26   #10 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

Well i purchased one about 6 months ago i can say iv had to replace the following things (1.7k)

-header tank $140 new
-bottom radiator hose and a few others $20 bout
-seal on back of transmission $6
-power steering pump $100
-water pump $50
-tape deck (havent replaced)
-spark plug leads $50
-now the little thing that lets u know how much water is in your header tank
-now also windscreen has a long hairline crack

I bought the car for 1.7k an EA's in perfect condition except till i had to fix those things. To my surprise the engine leaks absolutely no oil at all and it came with 215k but now 230k and runs really good now. Only thing i had a incident with a gutter at highspeed (no car damage) just ****eudp wheel but fixed and still a little funny to drive on gotta fix it up. The cars are tough but id say NO go for an eb dont get a ea.

My breaks got shudders but just finshign the message iv seen youv bought the car. Good luck i dont seem to have an serious trouble like commodore drivers just things to replace and only because they are old !

A detail would be good, only real reason i purchased my car is the thing was in such god dam good condition.
blinkAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons