Ford Forums banner

EA Progress

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Mother Nature 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've actually pulled my finger out and I'm starting to do a bit to the EA. The engine went in today for all the machine work to be done. My boss is reco'ing the head on the weekend as well as giving it a port job and removing the ridge in the combustion chamber to help lower the compression. And last but not least I bought a KKK K27 Turbo of Walkinshaw that should be here by the end of the week :)

I have cleaned up most of the interior and am in the process of putting it in. I have come across a slight problem though......the interior I have is out of a Ghia wagon, so the rear seat hinges are slightly different which mean I will have to somehow swap the ones over off the old seats, shouldn't be hard hopefully.

I am also after some opinions on what to do with the big gaping hole in the rear door trims where the ash tray/elec window switch are usually positioned. I am thinking of tidying the edges up by putting some of that upholstery tubing stuff around it as well as getting a thin piece of MDF and putting it behind the hole, spraying it the colour of the car and putting a badge of some description on it. This way the window winder won't hit on it. Does anyone have any pics of other ways of covering it up???

I also read in the Haynes manual that CFI engines supposedly have more compression than MPFI engines. CFI has 1040kPa per cylinder and MPFI has 1010kPa per cylinder, is this correct?? I've never heard of it before. If it is, how do they raise the compression for the CFI's?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll check the Ford manual but I'm pretty sure the comp is the same.

#3 ·
AUII_Forte said:
Hey Guys,
I also read in the Haynes manual that CFI engines supposedly have more compression than MPFI engines. CFI has 1040kPa per cylinder and MPFI has 1010kPa per cylinder, is this correct?? I've never heard of it before. If it is, how do they raise the compression for the CFI's?
The combustion chambers in the heads are a different shape.

#5 ·
Rawlinna the CFI and MPFI heads are identical.

#8 ·
How's your car going Dan?

Haven't heard anything for a while!

#9 ·
I still havent got it back but as of Friday they starting putting in the new ECU and only had the ECU, cooler piping and fuel system to go so hopefully it will be finished by this weekend.

Then I need to sort out my transmission which is slipping, Hopefully I can do that cheap. Then once I get my new motorbike registered Im going to take apart an engine and rebuild it like your doing.

I cant wait to get it back.

#10 ·
Good to hear progress... that turbo should seriously kick on a worked EA :D

#11 ·
I'm hoping so John!

That's good to hear Dan. I can wait to start working on the good stuff (engine, cooler, ECU etc). Money is seriously a bitch though! I've still got a fair bit to buy as well :(
Oh well, all comes with the joys of doing up a car I spose.

Things I still need to get are:

EMS Adapter Harness
Injectors
Fuel Pump
Exhaust
Turbo Plumbing
Wastegate
BOV
Wheels
Paint

Plus all the stuff I have to do to get a Blue Slip, i.e. shocks, balljoints and all the little things that are forgotten about until the last minute. The list goes on.......

#12 ·
I'll add to the list:

-Big rear window sticker. Preferably chrome and covering 35% of the rear window
-Black stockies
-Superlows
-Lots of tyre shine

Mmmmm....that's my kind of EA ;) lol.

Nah nice work man, good to hear it's coming along

Sundeep

#13 ·
AUII_Forte said:
Rawlinna the CFI and MPFI heads are identical.
I hear what you say AUII_Forte..
But..
Although the heads are interchangeable they are different in the combustion chambers.

Back to your original question..
Here’s how..
The first picture is a CFI head with a crescent shaped ‘intrusion’ around the exhaust valve..
The second picture is a MPFI head without the crescent.. Larger volume, lower compression, as shown on the compression pressure chart.

Attachments

#14 ·
Are you sure that's an EA head?? I am like 100% sure the 3.9L heads are all the same. The 3.2L head was different hence the 3.2L or 3.9L casting on the front, but as for the MPFI head being different, it's the first I've heard.

#15 ·
I know how to find out.
Thanatos has just taken off his MPFI head...
and has just fitted a CFI head... the CFI head has been ported etc etc and that crescent has been removed.
He can look at his old head to tell if its got the same crescent.

#25 ·
Don't know yet, I haven't thought that far ahead yet. I plan on getting it engineered, so if it passes that, I shouldn't have too many troubles getting a blue slip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.