Is the EA weak in structural components? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2002, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
PHIL82

Is the EA weak in structural components?

I just read thru some discussion on here about an EA with a big windsor V8 and all with the works. Unfortunately, I'm not happy with one thing... strength

Do EA's really have a problem with strength? It sounds like a bad thing. I'm sure older Holdens and Falcons have full strength steel chassis setups, wonder why that doesn't apply to much of today's cars.

What happens if an EA goes down a drag strip at speeds 300 km/ph +? Does the body actually fall apart or something? What has to be done to ensure that does not happen.

My next mod for my EA is a stronger custom tailshaft, a very good mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2002, 11:10   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

This topic interests me also, though for different reasons. I believe that the chassis would benefit from welded steel reinforcements under the car, and the A, B, and C pillars need similar upgrades also. The EB II had this, of course, but if it were done to an EA, it would be possible to bring it up to even higher standards.

I don't see why it would be too expensive, but I'm just not sure who does that kind of thing.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 22:11   #3 (permalink)
Grandpa Henry

Howdy

The EA like most other 'ordinary' cars is definetly not designed to handle silly speeds like 300kmph. As for the panels suddenly flying of i dunno. The EA is a fairly aerodynamic car and wind resistance should not be that bad. If panels where flying of I think the windscreen would as well! For christ sake the EA is not that flimsy. My EA has survied one head on crash and driven home, as for the Nissan Buebird it was a write off and driven home with a dodgy radiator fan for 10km on a hot 27 degree day.

When my std EA did do 200kmph twice (with a mod'd D/T) and she went fine though there was no strong wind.It felt no different than going at 150kmph, but my car is well maintained with decent suspension and tyres to boot.

As for safety reasons and using a big motor with lots of ponies thats different, high speeds is not a real isssue its more to do with power delivery. The weight of the motor and power delivery will really maul the engine bay and possibly twist the cars superstructure (especially in the front) in the process. Thats what happned in the EA GT.Though I think it was more of a heating issue with a standard radiator (slightly modified I belive) unit being used. Re-inforcing the car is only necesary for a car with serious brawn/weight distribution and should be treated as whole package for the car with the D/T as well as handling -suspension.

If it delivers less than 270kw- 550nm (our calcualtions) + torque don't worry too much. The Rego authorities forced us to do many structural mofications more for safety rather than for 'real use', so to speak.
We also re-inforced the structure do lessen noise/vibration and to allow a special radiator to be used in the car as well.

You can use steel (heavy) to re-inforce but aluminium alloy (carbon fibre or fibreglass) as well will reduce some noise (you should insulate as well) as well as prevent major carcks and warped frames on very high perfomance motors only. The EB and above has slightly superior body but is made of the same material so strenthening would be ineviatable as well to a lower extent.

Though in all cases the front chassis especially and underbody frame needs serious work in not too many words.
the side chassis would require only minor strengthening to diispiate energy over the whole car espeically in the cockpit area to the rear. Roll cages may and or will be necesary will provide plenty of extra strength. If energy if not dissapated properly from the storng chassis at the front to the weak rear stress fractures may occur. It is a very complex issue and im doing it currently in my Mech Enginerring course at the uni of necastle p/t.

If your just going to bang a turbo in your EA that no worries but if you have a heavy V8 with ponies and torque to burn thats much different. Distribution of weight and delivery of power is the whole thing.

The EA/EL in standard forms D/T can only handle 180kmph. The XR series should handle 240/250kmph. Custom aftermarket jobs will do the triple ton+ with the right tranny D/T combo. Though Ford MS and maybe Herrods only do this stuff.

i must be boring you to death.....

Long live the EA!

Grandpa Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons