eb air box explosion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 17:52   #1 (permalink)

eb air box explosion

Hi guys,

Been playing around with a cheap eb1 on gas..... the whole gas set up is new to me. I noticed the air box has exploded..... is this a common problem and how can I go about preventing it happening again?

Cheers,
Ian......... soon to be driving a cheap eb1 hack (=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 18:36   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: eb air box explosion

Yeah it is a common thing with LPG falcons, I found if you keep the timing right and have decent spark plugs (1 range cooler or XR6 spec) and good quality leads it greatly reduces the change of airbox explosions.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 21:49   #3 (permalink)

ok thanks mate. so just a matter of looking after it and buying good parts for it. cheers
Old 10-27-2005, 06:50   #4 (permalink)

G'day,
the fact is you won't prevent airbox explosions. It is common to MANY makes of vehicles on LPG (probably most)

It has MORE to do with the quality of the LPG.

What the fuel suppliers won't/ can't tell you is that there are two types of LPG.
Propane and Car Gas.
What is the difference?

Propane is just that Propane.

Car Gas is a mix of Propane and Butane. In Victoria the legal limit for butane in car gas is 40%. A car properly tuned on propane WILL generate a fawn exhaust tip, butane forces a black burn (whatch a cigarette lighter).
The problem is that the addition of butane lowers the octane of the fuel, hence it is likely to burn early....heat is enough.

Nissan patrols suffer this worse than falcons, or any other model i know of.

There is no real solution other than to tune for propane and ensure you only fill with propane. Supagas in vic was the best place to fill up...pure propane, but as i haven't been lpg fueled for a while am not 100% if this is still available.

Other solutions..
1. ensure the lpg entry point is as close to the throttle body as possible....some fitters put it in a 'conveniant' spot

2. fit an expansion chamber midway along the intake pipe (between the airbox and manifold)...similar to EL or EB V8

3. self manufacture a blow off/one way pressure relief, that lets excess pressure out between the manifold and airbox. What i am talking about here is a one way item that lets air out but not in...similar to body vents. This is the most effective method i have used to resolve this issue, but also the hardest!

Regards
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 20:16   #5 (permalink)

thanks Jas... I hadn't realised my mate had beaten me to your number three option. Some piece of piping and a bolt in one end. I only noticed the other day that the base of the air box had a crack all the way through it. I'm not sure where the entry point is but the Impco gas thing (know nothing about gas kits) is above the manifold towards the back. sits quite nicely.
cheers,
ian
Old 11-15-2005, 03:58   #6 (permalink)

Both my EB and EF run on gas (dual fuel) and have had a couple of backfires with the EB over the years, that moved the cover on the airbox. Having springs on the airbox reduced any damage. The first backfire was due to a broken spark plug lead (infinite resistance). The other times was due to a fouled up spark plug, and, running down the gas tank until it become too lean. Now I only use the Champion LPG Leads with the spiral stainless steel core with very low resistance. I could feel the extra power too. They cost about $70 from Veales. Also change the plugs every 20-30K and I recommend NGK V groove plugs or the Bosch super four. LPG cars need to have the electrical system in top condition and my problems happened in this area.
Cheers
peter61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:54   #7 (permalink)
1987 'S' Pack Falcon

Just got my XF converted to gas today and in the little book i got it stresses the importance of having a good condition electrical/ignition system and the need to replace spark plugs every 20,000k's
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons