eb fairmont 2 central locking issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 03:16   #1 (permalink)

Smile eb fairmont 2 central locking issues

hi i recently bought a eb fairmont series 2 and i can lock it with the key but i can't open it with it. please help as i cannot lock untill i fix the problem
strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 17:24   #2 (permalink)
fordmech

Re: eb fairmont 2 central locking issues

Hi
First off, try the key everywhere: Driver's door, passenger door, boot and ignition. If it only works in the ignition it means someone has changed the barrel and didn't bother to recode the rest of the barrels. If you got 2 keys when you bought the car try them both. If this is not the case, write back and we'll see what to do next.cheers
Marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:30   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the info the key works locking the doors in both drivers passengers door but wont unlock them it don't work in the boot and it works in the ignition, cheers
Old 12-15-2007, 15:47   #4 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi
That particular key design allows for ANY key to lock the doors but only the right one can unlock it. So that means someone has changed the ignition barrel. You either have to recode all doors and boot barrels to the new ignition key OR get a new key cut to fit just the doors and boot, which is probably the laziest option. Remove the lock from the boot lid (easiest one again) and take it to a locksmith and ask him to make you a key for it, and that should work on the doors as well. cheers
Marc
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19   #5 (permalink)

Tongue Re: eb fairmont 2 central locking issues

thanks mate, just wondering how to recode it to the new key ?
by the way im only 15 so i dont realy know that much
Old 12-16-2007, 16:51   #6 (permalink)
fordmech

It all depends on how much time and money you want to spend on your car. Your first option: If you want to recode all your barrels to the ignition key, you'll need to remove the door and boot lid trims to access the barrels. Once you remove them you'll need to take all 3 together with the ignition key to a locksmith to get them recoded. It is possible, if you have some knowledge and a lot of patience to recode them yourself, but I don't recommend this to anyone unless they've a bit of an idea on how to do it.
Your second option: You can also remove steering column shroud to access and remove the ignition barrel and get this coded to your doors and boot. If you do it this way you'll first need to have a key that works on your doors and boot, so
Option three: Remove the lock from the boot lid (easiest one) and take it to a locksmith and ask him to make you a key for it, and that should work on the doors as well. Once you have this key you can recode the ignition barrel to it. This is probably the option that involves less work for you BUT you have to consider if the previous owner may have a key that will give him access to your car.
Last option: Buy a set of barrels from Ford or wherever and fit it to your car. the set comes with both door barrels, the boot lid barrel, the ignition barrel and 2 keys.
So there you go. Pick the one you want and go with it. cheers
Marc
Old 12-16-2007, 17:35   #7 (permalink)

thanks mate i think i will take the boot lock and take it down becouse the previous owner was in vic and im in qld thank for the info
Old 12-17-2007, 22:54   #8 (permalink)

i just got the lock done and key works on it thanks, just wondering if you would know why my fuel gauge is not working it just go's to full then drops to empty and i dont know why.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:20   #9 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi bro
Here's a couple of pointers for your fuel gauge problem.
If it goes to full and drops to empty every time you start the car, that means it's open circuit on the return wire coming out of the sender unit. Access the connector on top of the pump (in the boot, under a round black cover) and follow the wires from there to the cluster.
If it works properly everywhere except when you have a full tank, then the sender unit variable resistor is dirty or corroded. Happens when people use contaminated or shitty fuel for too long. Remove the pump/sender unit and clean the resistor.
cheers
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons