EB leaking oil - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 19:42   #1 (permalink)

EB leaking oil

92 falcon leaks like a sieve but motor runs like a charm. I have been told it is a head gasket but is it?
y4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2004, 07:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: EB leaking oil

Places to look:

1. All over the outside (of the donk...) You're looking for gasket leakage -- rocker cover, timing cover, front main, rear main, etc. You may want to have the engine bay cleaned first, & I recommend having the professionals do it -- they get to clean up the mess!!!

2. With COLD engine, lift the radiator cap. There should NOT be oil floating on the water.

3. With HOT engine, pull the dipstick. You should NOT see a gooey muck.

4. Tailpipe. It should NOT have a slimy black coating. Check for foul blue smoke at any stage of acceleration -- you may want to bypass the Cat. Converter which will try very hard to remove all evidence of oil-burning.

The valve stems could be leaking. There's only one cure -- off with its head (!) and do it properly. Just replacing the collets is not a good way to go, 'cos you don't know what shape the stems are in.
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 18:27   #3 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Re: EB leaking oil

Welcome to FF, y4me.

Best to get it cleaned properly as gordon451 says then determine exactly where all this oil is coming from... only then can you really start to figure out the exact cause.

If it is coming from everywhere (rear main, sump, front seal etc) it may be a buggered PCV or a airleak in the PCV lines causing excess crank case pressure and subsequent leaks - I have experienced this but I expect it isn't a common thing.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons