EB2 questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 16:46   #1 (permalink)

EB2 questions

Hi, I'm new to falcon ownership, I have recently purchased a 92 eb2 GLI wagon, with 190000 kms on it, it seems to be a reasonably good car, execpt for the fuel consumption which is shocking, the best I can get around town is 17l/100km, and thats only if you really go slow. the town I live in is flat with no traffic lights and little or no traffic to hold me up,
I have ordered a new air filter, fuel filter, and gapped the plugs (they seem ok),
did the 92 NZ falcons have a cat in the exhaust?,
if the do then would it make an improvement in economy to remove it, (you are still allowed to here)

how do I go about checking the ignition timing, I've heard that you have to earth out some ports on the ecu , which ones? Do I need to reset the ecu?, what difference would it make?, how do I do that?

how do I test the various sensors (O2 ect), the car starts and runs ok, although it smells quite rich at idle, The plugs look ok too, but maybe a bit to white on one side,

what else should I look at in regards to excssive fuel consumption, bearing in mind that fuel is at 1.66/l here and rising fast, its costing me every extra cent to just run to work and back

Thanks in advance
LB99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 19:49   #2 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Re: EB2 questions

Get yourself a copy of the Gregory's manual for your car. It has instructions on making an LED tester you can use to run the EEC-IV diagnostics using the connector under your fuse panel. The tests may help track down any faulty sensors or actuators.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 20:05   #3 (permalink)

ok, I just rang the local public library, so it sof to the photocopier I go, if anyone else has any tips i'd like to hear them
Old 08-31-2006, 08:16   #4 (permalink)

Most likely its a leaky injector.

You should be getting about 11=15L/100 depending on your driving style.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 15:18   #5 (permalink)

I just replaced the fuel filter, heres some fuel from the old one. ewwwww

I dont think I have any leaks, theres no fumes under the hood, and no signs of any stains around the manifold, I have also renewed the air filter, and I will check the base timing tomorrow, after that I guess I will check the o2 sensor, tps ect, that gregorys manual is really clear and full of good tips.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:10   #6 (permalink)

i get 13.5l per 100k
Old 09-02-2006, 16:18   #7 (permalink)

weel, I am pretty sure my o2 sensor is crook, I tested it yesterday and it stayed at .795 volts, so I took it out and gave it a wipe, and it started alternating between .1 and .850 volts like it should(the engine was warm) but this morning I was checking the coolant temp sender when the engine was cold(within spec, so should be ok), I tested the o2 sensor again and it was back to being stuck on .795 again- the gregorys manual says it should start alternating after 40-60 seconds, has anyone else had these problems? am I definately looking at a new o2 sensor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons