ECU and New Cam - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2003, 00:07   #1 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

ECU and New Cam

Hi all, I have just had a new cam installed. Its a stage 2 crow cam, and as such doesn't require a chip. I was wondering tho, will my ECU need to relearn some settings? If so how should i go about this? i.e resetting ECU? The only guide for running in the cam was to run it over 1500rpm for about 10mins. Also will i need new lash adjusters?(i think thats what they said) The mechanic that did it said that they tend to 'bed' into a cam and as such should be replaced when a new one is put in, anyone got any clues about this? Thanks for any help.

Hoops
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2003, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

Maybe it mite o' been the lifters he was talking about.

Hoops
Old 02-24-2003, 00:47   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

no I6 falcons have roller cam followers and they dont need to be bedded into a cam.

if the adjusters arent stuffed at the moment then they should still be good after you get the cam, but some people report that thier lifters tick badly after getting a new cam.

i dont know why this happens.

just disconnect the computer for about 15 mins and then take it for a strap!!! thats all you gotta do.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:09   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

So the mech put the cam in and didn't check preload on adjusters??? So he fitted and hoped!
Do's he do the same at stop signs ???
You have to check EVERYTHING when installing anything in an engine!! Ford sell shims in two sizes but you can only fit one in each..Each lifter should be checked seperately..
A billet cam shouldn't need shimming but again check,a reground cam defanatly would need shimming..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:09   #5 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

cool thx Rollin. Will disconnect the ecu as my alarm makes it a pain to disconnect the bat. Strapping will commence tomorrow!
Old 02-24-2003, 05:57   #6 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Well it all depends on how big the cam is the lobes, sometimes you have to put in shims into the rocker arms and bleed the lifters, see how you go but just disconnect the battery and drive the car the ecu should learn the new cam.
Old 02-24-2003, 21:03   #7 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

ok disconnected the ecu for about 15mins, then put it back together and took it for a spin. The bloody thing runs worse now then b4 i disconnected the ecu. It stalls whenever i come to lights or travel at very low speeds i.e 10/15km/h. Is this normal str8 after disconnecting the ecu?
Old 02-24-2003, 21:39   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes it can be.It will learn hopefully over the next few kmrs..
But the ecu won't fix any mechanical fo- pars...You will loose low end torque!!! More compression will help ...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 21:58   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Crodarian,

where'd you get the cam from, i'm in brissie and revheads quoted me $245 for a crow stage 2 part 22825. I am going to get one for my xh ute and put it in myself(any help appreciated). Did yours make much or a performance increase or can't you tell yet with the stalling etc????
dinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 23:01   #10 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

Those bastards quoted me $380. I ended up getting it from autobarn. So far it runs like a pig, but its only just gone in so i wll give it about a week b4 i stress hard. Besides i rang chiptorque and they reckon for $495 they can get 'significant gains'. So if it still runs bad i am going to the coast. It feels like it goes a fair bit harder now, and i can't say i'm disappointed, only with the idle. Always the way tho, never any commys around to drag when u get some more power! lol. i got mine put in, but if its just the cam then it can't be too hard. Rollin offered to help me, but i only got the msg the morning of fitment, so if u get stuck, he should be able to help you out. The stalling only happens like i said, once going she really goes.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons