ECU voltage- Power Steering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 22:39   #1 (permalink)

ECU voltage- Power Steering

I have a small problem on my ED wagon.

Checked the diagnostics and came up with code 41, 52, 77

Got rid of the 41 (HEGO lean, because of running LPG at the time) and 77 (Goose code).
But have a problem with 52. Changed the switch over, but still no difference, same outcome, code 52, thats after erasing the codes.
Even moving the steering wheel, does not make the engine rev up a bit.

So I did some investigation and found that the ECU is reading 9.8V on the switch return (power from switch to ecu) when the wheel is turned. So checked the power getting to the switch and that was 9.8v.
I am under the impression that it has to be 12v ? Can anyone verify this?
Does the ECU feed the switch with voltage? Or is it from another source, as my wiring schematic shows that it's feed from the ECU.

No Longer a Ford Forums Member, have now gone to
www.BSeries.com.au

EA Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2005, 22:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: ECU voltage- Power Steering

I should mention, that I did not turn the wheel during the diagnostic test.
Forgot to mention that.

www.BSeries.com.au

Old 03-02-2005, 01:05   #3 (permalink)

It has been a long time, but was the switch a new one? The symptoms of your car should be running rich with high fuel consumption(limp home mode). The comptuer only need the correct signal once in its memmory and you wont notice until you disconnect battery/ clear codes. I beleive the ECU wanted a certain resistance but my car was fixed after I replaced the switch. I would just put a meter across the switch and see if the resistance changes when turning the wheel.
BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:11   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, the switch was brand new.
The car originally was giving low power from the take off point of view, felt sluggish, than what it should be.
No overfuelling or limp home mode, hehe, nothing like my old EA and nothing out of the ordinary, just that I have this code 52 issue.

Though, I thought a switch was an ON/OFF item, not a resistive one. If it was a resistive one, it would be then a sensor or sender unit ?

What has me confused, is that the switch is receiving a 9.8v signal, then when the switch is activated, sends a 9.8v signal to the ECU, but still pops up with code 52 after erasing the codes.
Though, if it was a resistive switch, the ECU wouldn't be getting the 9.8v that was sent to the switch. Possibly around a 6 volt area, depnding on the resitance.
Maybe the wire supplying the power is dodgy, have to check that.

The info I have here, shows the switch (0v off - 12v on). I connected 12v to the wire that went to the ECU (from the switch) and the engine revv'd up.

So i think I have to find the source of power of this 9.8v, the wiring I have shows it's sent from the ECU in the first place, to the switch, then back to the ECU.
This I have to investigate. Maybe the ECU is stuffed...

www.BSeries.com.au

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons