ed 5 ltr needs cam - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13   #1 (permalink)
ed 5ltr

ed 5 ltr needs cam

hey fellahs....just wanted to know what kinda cams u are putting in yer e-series(8's or I6's)mines a five ltr and i want a wikkid cam...have a few ideas but wanna know other peoples opinions/experiences....also...money is absolutely No object here.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 18:44   #2 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Re: ed 5 ltr needs cam

What do you aim to do to your 5.0? Keep it 5.0 and N/A? Turbo? Supercharge? Stroke? It might not be worth getting a good cam for your currently-NA-5.0 if you plan to give it forced induction, or stroking it (to a degree).

Gearing is an important factor too with a cam. There's no point having a 3.27 diff and a 4 speed auto if you're getting a cam with a power range around 3000-6000rpm, coz it'll be slower for everyday driving than your std cam. If you want a cam that's good for midrange & top end, get a diff to suit, like 3.7 or above.

Mine is currently stock, and will remain stock until after I get a set of 3.73 diff gears. The cam I am looking at is a Crane 2031, which suits NA and blown 5.0s. There are most likely better suited cams out there, but I'm going for this one because A) it's tried and true, and B) it's common. Ultimately I'd like a supercharger, and was considering a Vortech unit (thru CAPA), however after checking out the Kenne Bell website I'm more interested in a rootes/twin screw style setup now! But that's at least a year away and I don't have the $$$ right now (I'm a uni student with two jobs to pay my way thru uni...)

Would u be able to post a reply with A) what your goal would be with the ED, and B) what its current specs are? Like, you've listed a few things in your sig, but knowing your diff, transmission, t/b, intake manifold, MAF, etc would help.

I hope my answer helps in some kind of way, even though it's full of assumptions and return-questions :p

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:16   #3 (permalink)
ed 5ltr

eb5ltr...i gotta take my hat off to ya mate! u sound like an unreal bloke that wants(genuinely)to help other blokes....its rather rare these days although ill say...there is more than a few good blokes in these you beaut forums!...ill level with ya....everything i research...i tend to become a try hard expert in...so gearing and cams and forced aint a problem if i have the right informat

ion...being out of cars for years(due to a gabble mouthed missuslol)
i have stock stock stock...9as far as i know.........but i bought the ed 5 ltr and she has no tow bar now ball...kick arse ectractors...all mandrel bent...and the car dealers looked at me and said''oh that was standard'lolol
im like"yeah"ok.....ur right though the 3 inch is sapping a bit but with the hotdog...sounds soooo good...and maybe its not sapping(since its been raining here for two days u know i havent had the..u know)....also...a 2 inch twin is like 4 inches right? so 3 inch single should be ok...im interested in forced induction(i have the money)sorry to say i know ur a uni student...but in all honesty i have no family am single and earn 978 net every week(supervisor of a mining laboratory plant.....so money is absolutely no object,,...but eb...(love u man)......with all my cash,...just tell me where to go and what to do...and ill promise u..ill build a car that will kik arse all the way to china...seriously.....love u man cheers(ive had more than a few bourbons by the way lol.....cheers..also...i gotta get some pics up...borrowing my bros webcam soon promise!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:24   #4 (permalink)

phew,the bit about the bourbans made me relax
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 19:05   #5 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
phew,the bit about the bourbans made me relax
LMAO! The webcam comment though had me unsettled :-/ (j/k tommo)

Thanks for the kind words mate, but I'm merely rattling off 2nd-hand info, because I have asked similar questions in the past & have gotten answers which I have simply passed on to you. Fordforums.com.au and Fordmods.com are two other forums to get good info from, and a lot of members (including myself) frequent these forums as well as this one.

So, considering you're interested in forced induction, it might be a tad difficult to get everything right the first time if you're going to do one mod this week, another mod the next. Like, you might get a cam (suited for a 12PSI blower) this week for your non-blown 5.0 and it'll probably run like shit until you get the blower say a month later... The most cost-effective way to end up with your ultimate goal would be to do as much as possible in one hit.

For example, I bought a different intake manifold back in February, but I'm not fitting it until June when I get some heads to go with it (why pay to pull the engine apart twice... I'm not game to fit the new manifolds either coz it's not a straightforward bolt-on job for me unfortunately, there are some incompatibilities). My exhaust at the moment *is* taking a bit away from my bottom end as I've said previously, but I can live with that because of the other goodies I have in store for the motor.

Getting back to the forced induction... You might not want to change your diff gears since A) your trans might go into torque-reduction or limp-home mode with short diff gears (this is a bit of a grey area I think)), and B) with the mountain of torque that a blower will provide, especially a rootes or twin-screw setup from low-down, you'd want to be in-gear as long as possible! Can you imagine 1st gear from 0 to 100 with 700Nm of torque the whole way?!? Changing your cam to blower-specs might not mean changing the car's power band to a higher rev range, but it might overlap inlet and outlet valves with being open (to allow for shitloads of flow).

Another factor to keep in mind with forced induction is you don't need heads/intake with awesome flowing capabilities, as these are rated atmospherically. When a blower is *forcing* air through the motor, who cares if the heads only flow 75% compared to the top-of-the-range heads that are on the market, if they cost $1500 less? Your GT40Ps would be good because they won't really need replacing, and their flow capabilities will mean your engine would be subject to less PSI than my shitty E7s.

Say you and I put the same supercharger setup on our motors and compared power, acceleration, etc. We'd probably have near-identical results, however I'd have an extra couple of PSI (say your 9PSI vs my 12PSI) due to my more restricted internals. PSI doesn't necessarily = KW in this case, it means more frequent engine rebuilds So although I'd be able to match your ED with power & ETs, I'd have to rebuild my engine probably every two years compared to yours every 5 years. I'm making up these figures here, but I hope you get my drift.

Also, you'd probably need to change your block before changing your heads & other intake goodies if you intend on getting more than 500HP out of your 5.0. Then there's aspects such as your transmission & driveline... Your auto (I read you have an auto in another post of yours) will need a bigger cooler and probably a shift kit for firmer shifts. A non-shift-kitted auto's slower shifts mean more time spent where the bands are locking/unlocking, and that's like using a clutch slowly when changing gears. Softer, slower shifts = slip = friction = heat = wear. A 2500-ish rpm stally or tougher torque converter might be a good idea too. I'll need to get a cooler sometime, because although my power is near-stock, I'm having fun with my BA shifter, and changing back to 1st at 45kph, or 2nd at 70-80kph isn't helping the box's longevity, especially since it hasn't been overhauled and is 300,000km old! I'm intending to fit a shift kit on the weekend at a mate's place (I have all the parts, just not the time or the tools) <-- all I need is a couple of hours, some wire strippers/cutters, crimps and a crimper!

Getting back to the blower again, your exhaust setup will be well suited to the increased flow. If your engine was 100% stock, it would be OK to keep the stock intake side of things when fitting a blower, but ONLY if the exhaust was opened up! A std exhaust & extractors is like shoving a cork up the ED's rectum, and it will build up pressure inside the engine which wouldn't be good... so you don't have to worry about that due to your current setup This paragraph probably wasn't needed lol

Finally (regarding forced induction) a bottom end rebuild is probably a good idea, just so the engine is fresh when it is suddenly introduced to extra mouthfuls of air & fuel. And and and and look into full kits because they'll give you an idea of what is needed. If you were to buy a supercharger or turbo plus all the required plumbing, but didn't bother to change your fuel system to keep up with the extra air (or intercooling if required), your engine would lean out & die on you!

Please do not take my advice as gospel! Check out all of the forums for advice, and buy Street Machine, PFM and Street Fords magazines (and others that you see) to find adverts for companies that can do up your car. I mainly buy these magazines to read about the featured cars, but lately have been going thru my old magazines to find ads for parts/places & stuff.

Want to know why my responses at the moment are so long? I have a presentation due in a couple of hours which I need to, umm, start, as well as a 3500 word essay due tomorrow morning! Starting is the hardest part for me dammit, but once I get going it's all good... It's going to be a looooooong day & night... Last time I stayed up until 6.30am to finish off an assignment, and I had consumed so much coffee that I had the shakes

Vomiting at uni later that day wasn't fun either...

Good luck with your ED mate, and restrict webcam use to car pix lol :p

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons