ED clutch cable adjustment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2005, 21:19   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation ED clutch cable adjustment

Hi,
when i first got the car, i had to depress the clutch pedal to the last millimetre to engage the clutch, so i adjusted the clutch cable, changing the pedal position. this was fine for 6 months, but in the last month ive had to adjust it 3 more times, for the clutch to engage properly at the right amount of pedal disposition. Now the pedal is fully adjusted, with no more adjustment on the cable left, so the pedal is sitting too far out from the firewall, to engage the clutch as it should. is the clutch simply wearing down fast? has anyone else experienced the same problem?
What do you suggest i do?
how much is a new clutch worth (with installation) for an ED I6 5SPD?
all replies much appreciated,

Venom
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 05:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: ED clutch cable adjustment

See the topic "Clutch Pedal Troubles" in the "inline 6" forum. What might have happened is that your clutch pedal pivot may have fractured, and every time you take up the slack and depress the clutch pedal your cracked pedal box is moving more and more and absorbing the mechanical motion, rather than transmitting the mechanical force down to the clutch. It happens a lot.

Look at your clutch pedal while someone else depresses it. If it does not move in a straight arc you probably have trouble. Get in a good mood and be prepared for a fiddly job to fix it.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 18:30   #3 (permalink)

Righto one of four things is happening.

Firstly the hook on the bottom of the cable is letting go. These cost about $26 from a Ford dealer and are known as an insulator. This is the least likely cause as these things normally just let go leaving your clutch pedal on the floor. I keep a spare one of these in my glovebox.

Secondly as mentioned your pedal pivot is breaking off your pedal box. This happened to my first EB2 at two years old $120 for the pedal box $400 to fit it because it's a shit of a job. On my current EB2 when this happened I decided to pull out the box myself & weld/brace it stronger than factory. When I pulled it out it had a date sticker on it of 1996 so it wasn't the cars original box (wish I had the receipt to claim that one under Fords lifetime service warranty). usually when this happens you can see your pedal at a funny angle and/or it grinds on the depression.

Thirdly & probably most likely your clutch cable is literally sinking through your firewall. Climbing up under the dash & looking with a torch at where the cable comes through will identify this problem instantly. I fixed mine by breaking the tube out of the firewall & then welding it back to a 3 inch diameter shock washer to spread the load.

the last cause could be that your pressure plate has colapsed & is only releasing your clutch on one side. This happened to me last week to a 2 year old clutch. The driven plate still looked new & the pressure plate still had the machining marks in it.

Good luck, Jim...
jim5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 21:44   #4 (permalink)

thanx guys
its the pedal box.....bent pedal etc....
might get ford to fix it....last time i pulled the pedal box out it was just too aggrivating
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons