ED V8 .. help me get my Henry Hotter! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 19:40   #1 (permalink)

ED V8 .. help me get my Henry Hotter!

Hi Everyone,
(New member) Great forum you have here guys - can see myself spending many hours here!!
Just after some advice. I'm in the process of fitting an Explorer Manifold and Tickford 70mm TB to my ED V8 (decided to toss away the poo HO manifold and E7 heads). Already running GT40 heads and a stage 2 Crane Cam, with a chiptorque eprom.
What I was wondering is it worthwhile trying to find a better MAF sensor than the std one on it now, and any other suggestions. Not wanting to throw bucket loads of cash at it though.
Also after some recommendations for headers / exhaust.
One twist in the mix though, it's a dual fuel LPG conversion .. it's gonna do some regular driving, so the other question i have is if anyone knows of a better venturi system for the LPG - the one that was fitted to my old 58mm TB looks pretty restrictive (it's a sprint gas one) .. does anyone know of a better one?
Thanks heaps
ol_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 01:56   #2 (permalink)
fordmech

Re: ED V8 .. help me get my Henry Hotter!

Hi
I just wanna say that it all sounds sweet, what you're doing with your car, except for the part of having it run on LPG. Explorer manifolds are plastic and "officially" not warranted when LPG is installed, simply because they may crack if you have a serious backfire issue (unless you decide to use a direct injection system). I think you're old MAF will do just fine. Good luck !!
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 22:31   #3 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

plastic? Erm, no, they're alloy. Explorers and LPG are a good combo.

As for your std 58mm MAF, this will be the new choke point in your setup, source a larger unit. The el-cheapo way of getting more flow through your MAF is getting an AU MAF housing and plugging your ED's sensor into it. This isn't ideal as the tune won't be calibrated/mapped as you're creating a FrankenMAF, however I've done this and the EB doesn't seem to be complaining. I noticed that after 2500rpm it revs a little more quickly towards the redline, however it is a bit lean in the midrange.

I'm not too familiar with what is out there with regard to aftermarket MAFs, but maybe try www.fordforums.com.au or Ford Modifications Website - www.fordmods.com and ask in the appropriate sections there.

Cheers

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 00:15   #4 (permalink)
fordmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
plastic? Erm, no, they're alloy. Explorers and LPG are a good combo.

-Dave-
Sorry brother, What were you saying about Explorer manifolds ? Maybe you're refering to pre-06 models?
marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06Explorer4.6V8.jpg (132.6 KB, 6 views)
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:19   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash1
Sorry brother, What were you saying about Explorer manifolds ? Maybe you're refering to pre-06 models?
marc
Hi Marc,
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
You could be referring to a different 'explorer' manifold here. I'm referring to the V8 alloy manifold fitted to Ford Explorers in the States .. Ford Australia used these in the later model Windsors (EL2, AU, AU2) as the old HO manifolds in the early series (EB-EL1) were quite restrictive and have much smaller induction ports . .definately not plastic, I can vouch for that (cost me a fortune in freight).

Pete
Old 07-07-2007, 02:20   #6 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

^^^ That's what I was saying about Explorer manifolds, as I fitted one in my EB Falcon (model before the ED Falcon). EL2 XR8s and all AU V8s (apart from the T-series models) came out with Explorer manifolds.

Yep, I'm referring to pre-06 models, as ol_mate is talking about a 5.0 (aka 302 Windsor) in an Australian Falcon which is virtually the same as mine.

Personally I don't have LPG for the EB, but I have friends who have converted theirs to LPG, some of which have Explorer manifolds in place of the std HO item.

Modular V8s have only been in Australian Falcons since 2002 I think (maybe early 2003).

^^^ Just had to throw in a couple of shots of the old heap

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 07-07-2007, 02:26   #7 (permalink)

Hey Dave,
Thanks for your post - thanks for the photos too, sweet :) - good to see what the end product will look like when I get my explorer manifold in!
Love those wheels by the way, they look tops
Hey quick question too, where did you get the EGR spacer for the manifold - I guess I'll need one if I'm fitting the Explorer Manifold to my ED, won't I?
Cheers, Pete
Old 07-07-2007, 02:50   #8 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Hi Pete,

I ended up reusing my EGR but you can use an AU "EGR blank spacer" in its place. This (the AU blank) is a far better proposition, as you'll have vacuum-leak issues with the ED's EGR (I initially did). The EGR's coolant lines can just be joined together (or blocked off).

There's a definitive Explorer-conversion thread here that's a few years old, but I can't remember its link sorry. Do a search for it, I think the author was "EL1XR8".

Anyhoo, AU EGR blank spacers can be sourced from ebay or from various sellers online (good luck with these forums though, not many aussies use it anymore). Don't pay any more than $50 for one though.

Any questions feel free to ask me

Cheers,

-Dave-
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons