EEC-V into an EB - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2003, 00:28   #1 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Read EEC-V into an EB

Hi,

I think from previous posts, some of you guys have attempted this...

I am thinking of trying an EEC-V ecu out of an EL in my EB II, its an I6, and has smartlock, i am going to keep the standard eb manifold, because of the blower setup.

It is an auto, therefore, for those who have attempted it, was it a straight swap, ie the two ecus identical pin for pin, or is there some rewiring required, i think the manuals arent a problem, but not sure on the pinouts for the auto.

Also as far as the knock sensor goes, where would this mount on the EB / ED block?

The reason i want to change the ecu is mainly for the timing, the eec-v should run optimal timing to just below the point where the car will ping - as it is constantly monitored by the knock sensor.

Have any of you guys noted any performance diffrences or problems with the eec-v insead of the iv?

Any other tips / tricks / suggestions?

Thanks

9psi EB
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2003, 00:40   #2 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Read EEC-V into an EB

DELETED: For some reason, It got posted twice....

9psi EB
Old 02-21-2003, 01:59   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't bother, what improvements would you gain?
Old 02-21-2003, 07:08   #4 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Would waste my time, just buy a unichip. And throw it on a dyno.
By the way 9psi EB what power you puttin out what you done.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:12   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

BLWNEB,

Ive never had mine dynoed, but it goes real well IMO.
I am getting the auto done in the next few weeks, then going to play with cams, ecu or possibly like you said, a unichip.

Got any kw figures on yours?
It is an I6 isnt it?
What are you running as far as cam / ecu / etc...
Is it a powerdyne you got?

I will think about getting it dynoed one day, but for me its a daily driver, so i dont really care about figures, its just for fun...

9psi EB
Old 02-23-2003, 07:07   #6 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

I've got an ELXR6 ECU which I've had in my ED and it all ran fine - including the auto trans. I've got the ED ECU back in it for the time being because I did have problems with pinging on long runners under load - knock sensor should fix that (soon to be done).

I think an EL ECU will work fine with the MPEFI manifold (ie. without BBM hooked up) - and the improved (more aggressive) ignition map should be good for a reasonable performance improvement - as long as the knock sensor is also fitted and working.

The knock sensor on the EF and EL is screwed into the side of the engine block on the same side as the inlet manifold - I'm not sure of exactly where tho. Apparently it's a std 10mm thread - so you just need to find somewhere on the block it can be screwed into (in line with a cylinder would be ideal I guess). It's been suggested to me that it could be screwed into the hole that's used for the water pipe support - ie. on the exhaust side rearward a bit from the water pump - ie. the knock sensor would replace the original bolt.

Don't forget to also track down the connector for the sensor (+ at least a few inches of wires to then be able to splice your own wires on).

From the Knock sensor two wires go to the ECU. They are yellow/red to pin 23 and black/white to pin 46.

The wires are shielded - the shielding needs to be grounded near the ECU - preferably to the common ground that's in that area (ie. the wire that goes under the ECU clamp screw). I gather that a wire actually goes from ECU pin 20 to that ground.

I'm planning to source a sensor + the full length of wiring for it from the engine compartment + also an EL ECU-to-engine-compartment loom so I can get the Knock sensor wires from it - including the connector pin receptacles so I can put them into my ED connector and run the wiring from there - ie. as close to factory as possible.

I'll hopefully have it all by next weekend.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons