EF Fairmont 5L - common faults - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 02:48   #1 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

EF Fairmont 5L - common faults

I'm looking at buying a 5L EF Fairmont and just wondering what common problems are with them. Obviously the electric windows are a weak point and brake light switches (just so happens to be on the blink now) but anything really major?

I've heard lack of servicing can result in noisy valvetrain and it was suggested that it's rocker wear that causes this. It's only done 200km and I haven't heard it running yet (tomorrow).

All help appreciated. I'm still tempted by a 6 cylinder one of the same year with 180kms, but i do like the idea of the V8.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 11:59   #2 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Re: EF Fairmont 5L - common faults

Well... it has a pretty severe oil leak which appears to be coming from both the timing cover gasket and the sump gasket. It also apparently needs the water topping up every week which would lead me to believe that perhaps the coolant is now so diluted that to buy it might be letting myself in for a whole heap of trouble not to mention where it's going. It also registers very high on the oil pressure gauge all the time - even at idle (which is very smooth) it's 3/4's up the gauge).

Along with the A/C needing attention (and the climate air control panel needing replacement) I'm a bit put off. Also the headlights have started the traditional yellowing.
Old 03-30-2006, 17:22   #3 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Leaking from the sump gasket sounds like a costly fix (does the engine need to be removed to replace the sump gasket, or is that just an I6 thing?)

Water instead of coolant in the cooling system can lead to corrosion of the alloy parts (water pump, etc). Then again it could be losing water for a very simple reason, such as a split hose?

Replacing climate control module: Ebay is your friend! These are on Ebay all the time (EA-ED and EF-EL types) for cheap $$$. Aircon should cost the same to fix as in any other car.

My Wheezer had a few fluid leakages when I first got it, but 80,000kms later at 330,000kms she's fine.

The best thing would be a proper diagnosis of *why* the cooling system leaks, and why there's a leak around the timing cover. But the sump gasket leak sounds self-explanatory. Worst case for the sump leak could be the sump is warped/knocked about and needs replacing too?

Spend some coin on some more in-depth analysis of the car's troubles to see if it's worth buying, or walk away from it now. Either way it'll potentially save you $$$ if you decide to just take a punt on it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Pacemaker PH4000 extractors
Meaty semi-twin system
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 22:40   #4 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

With the cross member under the motor I dare say you're at least need to undo the transmission cross member and the engine mounts to get access to do the job. I can't remember if the deepest part is forward or rearward of the cross member - be better if it was forward.

The more I think about it the more I go off it. I don't *need* a V8 - my 6 cyl XF tows the boat well enough and a 4.0L EF is more than enough power and fuel consumption for me.
Old 03-30-2006, 23:19   #5 (permalink)

mate ef 6cyl auto's are absolute crap for towing ive got 2 now wifes and mine, go a 5lt. i would never buy another 6cyl unless its a ba.
gsr9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:08   #6 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah right
With the cross member under the motor I dare say you're at least need to undo the transmission cross member and the engine mounts to get access to do the job. I can't remember if the deepest part is forward or rearward of the cross member - be better if it was forward.

The more I think about it the more I go off it. I don't *need* a V8 - my 6 cyl XF tows the boat well enough and a 4.0L EF is more than enough power and fuel consumption for me.
OK either my computer has gone bung or I'm not functioning properly!

It sounds like you're giving yourself advice in your own thread! (1st paragraph)

But yeah, E-series sixes will do the job for sure, especially EF-ELs with the broadband manifold which gives more lowdown torque.

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Meaty semi-twin system
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 03-31-2006, 14:20   #7 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

That's the conclusion I'm rapidly coming to, Dave. A mate has a 4.0L EFII and it's a nice car. But there's a mint looking (in the photos) XF Ghia (same as I have now, but burgandy) for $2300. No air bag wank to worry about or expensive transmission. I might go and have a close look at that since I know just about everything that goes wrong with them already. Better the devil you know.
Old 04-02-2006, 00:30   #8 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

An XF should do the job fine mate! XF on gas = Corolla fuel economy, hehe (if the XF you're looking at is on LPG).

Beware of Ghia electrics, the windows, mirrors and dash can be a real bitch if they're not working properly.

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Meaty semi-twin system
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 04-02-2006, 00:50   #9 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

I've already got an XF Ghia 4.1L but it needs the passengers sill doing and the passenger pillar seam. I love the old girl but it's a case of economic sense - once you start with rust you never stop. Then again, airbags and their related costs if they go wrong are far worse. I've never bought a car newer than 1991 for that particular reason - I've had my face broken in a plane crash 6 years ago and I don't wish to repeat the experience for the sake of some safety gimmick (which is all they are in my opinion - you don't need them if you've got your seatbelt on and the last thing I want to happen if someone slams into me is getting at the lights while I'm leaning forward to pick something off the passengers floor is to have my neck snapped).
Old 04-02-2006, 17:56   #10 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah right
... my 6 cyl XF tows the boat well enough ...
whoops! Missed that bit...

Holy damn, airbag in the face doesn't sound like fun!

Well I might be wrong here but an XH ute wheel might match the appearance of an EF/EL wheel if you want one minus an airbag. (Some XH utes came with airbags however, such as the Longreach S)

Also any Falcon up to ED doesn't have an airbag.

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Meaty semi-twin system
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons