EF Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 00:55   #1 (permalink)

EF Falcon - Updated Please Help

Hey every one,
as you know i posted a fair while ago about this ef falcon, it is my yr12 major work.
-i panel beated the door and sprayed it,

my other ideas are:
-changing the oil
-doing a general service
-lowering it all roung 2.5" (Kmac or Kings)
-Installing a pod filter
-Taking the exhaust (from the extractors) off a EF xr6 and putting it onto the falcon GLi
-Repairing any scrathches

i have 9months to do it and am looking for any ideas (as you can see i am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.
some other ideas are:
Off the XR6
Change the cams
Change the ECU
Change the Fuel injectors

but have rejected these ideas as they will end up being very expensive!

any ideas?
el3ctro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2006, 02:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: EF Falcon

nope...
Old 02-18-2006, 06:50   #3 (permalink)

Ok,
well this may not be about improving on the factory product, but more about learning about vehicle safety issues.

Do a roadworthy on it. With a bit of hunting, you should be able to find a shop willing to do a roadworthy inspection with you helping, and learning what is safe and what is not. This is a bigger issue than what mods you can do.....and may also bring into question what mods you can do.

As a tradesman involved in structural restoration, i am only too happy to advise people on what is safe. with any luck you can find someone out there with my own view to roadworthy items.

Focusing on LEGAL and roadworthy mods to your car should earn you bonus points, as its a long way down the road to responsible motoring.

Being able to recognise your brake pads are shot without paying big dollars to a mechanic is bloody well worth while mate.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 00:13   #4 (permalink)

thanks jas24zzk,
thats what im aiming for
get the car a blue slip and make it safe and regisered
but....that was the problem...you see i got given the car and its done 102000km so its not worth rebuilding the engine,
and the engine is extremely clean and runs smooth!
There isnt much safety wise that i can do except for the above (general service -including brakes, oil change and filter changes and spark plugs maybe) other than that the only thing i thought i could do to it was mod it?
do you have any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2006, 15:34   #5 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Regarding swapping the injectors, don't bother, as they're all the same.

How about sourcing a complete XR head & doing a head swap?
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:46   #6 (permalink)

G'day,
one thing i am not sure on...EF's were they all 4 wheel disc? if they weren't, then is yours? a potential upgrade...

(pretty sure they are)

Stole this from another post..... Cruise Control upgrade....never be done for speeding.
(try to stick with factory...still have nightmares of a friends XE with aftermarket that wouldn't shut down...150kph through the black spur!!)

My original suggestion of the roadworthy still stands. Front bearings...full repack regardless, you can put that in your work, what you learnt about packing bearings, and setting the pre-load...what to look for in dead bearings etc. A RWC encompasses more than just brakes, tires and lights. Add in brake hose condition, brake fuild quality (replacement there of...including bleeding) Bearing conditions, shocker condition, tailshaft uni's.......

Other things to think about...FULL transmission service, filter and oil...not JUST whats in the pan. Even though yours is still a baby at 102k km, a full oil change won't hurt it...nor will a band adjustment (many say this cannot be done.....untrue)
Trans oil cooler upgrade (the one on the ef couldn't cool ice)

Just on the RWC items, there is a whole plethora. AS your undertaking it as your year 12 project, its not about what you achieve, but about what you manage to learn.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 21:37   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el3ctro
Hey every one,
as you know i posted a fair while ago about this ef falcon, it is my yr12 major work.
-i panel beated the door and sprayed it,

my other ideas are:
-changing the oil
-doing a general service
-lowering it all roung 2.5" (Kmac or Kings)
-Installing a pod filter
-Taking the exhaust (from the extractors) off a EF xr6 and putting it onto the falcon GLi
-Repairing any scrathches

i have 9months to do it and am looking for any ideas (as you can see i am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.
some other ideas are:
Off the XR6
Change the cams
Change the ECU
Change the Fuel injectors

but have rejected these ideas as they will end up being very expensive!

any ideas?
Dont bother with the EF XR6 exhaust there will be no improvement. Source some extractors and a 2.5" exhaust and fit them yourself.

As someone said i wouldnt bother changing it to XR6 cam or injectors either unless you can find a whole XR6 head and put that on. Another option would be to get a regrind cam e.g. stage 2 RPD or Wade cam and put that in there as they idle on stock ECU.

With exhuast, extractors and possibly a cam the EF XR6 ecu could be a good option next.
Old 03-06-2006, 22:32   #8 (permalink)

ok so far
panel beat door - done
change oil + oil filter - Done
Install a soundsystem (proper soldering and linking up 2 batteries) - next
create my own Pod filter box - after
Install a pod (to increase fuel economy) - after
Full service (Front bearings,brake hose condition, brake fuild quality (replacement there of...including bleeding) Bearing conditions, shocker condition, tailshaft uni's) - after
Transmission service - after
Lower 2-2.5" - still unsure as it is dead money

im not sure by what you meant when you said band adjustment?

i am also wanting to make a box for a 2nd battery to put into the boot, does any one have ideas for this?

thanks for the advice jas its helped heaps but do you have any more ideas to make it safer, ready for blue slip and ready for max sale price?
Old 03-07-2006, 15:23   #9 (permalink)
All crossed up

Can you weld? If so, make your own exhaust, just use original cat and modified mufflers. Change the head gasket, a pretty big job for someone with not much experience but easy enough if you take your time. If its done 100000k and hasn't done one yet its going to soon. Its pretty unusual to change the head gasket without it having blown, but should be worth some marks and you'll learn alot about your car. Take heaps of photos while you do it, not only good for final presentation but if you get stuck it will help you put it all back together.
DOG20L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:45   #10 (permalink)

ok just an update plus a quick question!

ive installed the audio - harder than i thought (inc. soldering wires etc.)

now i am up to susspension
my question is:
i have a choice between:
A set of King spring coils (front and rear)
A set of EF (1994) XR6 Front Struts and rear coils from a wrecker
A set of lowered Front Struts and Rear Coils from a wrecker (Kmac, Kings, Pedders)

what should i do?

btw DOG20L thanks for the suggestion but i dont want to touch exhaust as it is an Automatic and when i do end up hotting up a car i will make sure it is a manual and intend on keeping it, this car i am not sure about!

My ideas have changed again, now im thinkn, Susspension + bushes and a Break Overhaul?

any other ideas welcome!

Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons