Ford Forums banner

ef falcon central locking worry

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  atec77 
#1 ·
Hi all

have been reading the forums on ef falcon wagon about steering wheel removal, I think I will remove battery terminal.

i have a central locking problem with my ef wagon, when the car is locked with key or button it immediately unlocks. A few time it locked/unlocked for about two minutes before settling to the unlocked condition. I read in a forum dated nov 2003 that ford are fixing this problrm under a warrantee arrangement, is this still the case? :shh:

#2 ·
gokarts said:
Hi all

have been reading the forums on ef falcon wagon about steering wheel removal, I think I will remove battery terminal.

i have a central locking problem with my ef wagon, when the car is locked with key or button it immediately unlocks. A few time it locked/unlocked for about two minutes before settling to the unlocked condition. I read in a forum dated nov 2003 that ford are fixing this problrm under a warrantee arrangement, is this still the case? :shh:
Very common prob on hot days i would take it to a dealer to find out.

#3 ·
Dancing door locks on an EF......... where do I start??? Try taking the lock knobs off the front doors (if you have 2) and see how that goes. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford that has several pages on how to properly diagnose and repair the door lock dramas on EF and EL's.

#4 ·
I had a similar problem with my EF sedan where the rear passenger door would'nt lock. After weeks of searching and pulling out actuators, I found a corroded wiring connector from the rear door actuator which was situated between the two doors, in the body. I crimped on a new connector and its now fine. So I would check all the wiring. Another possibility is of faulty diodes in a actuator. I bought the same rated diodes from Dick Smiths and they were like 20 cents each and easy to fit. Maybe try disconnecting an actuator from each door one at a time to try to isolate the problem.
Failing that it could mean the control unit is faulty and they are very expensive.

#5 ·
smally351 said:
Dancing door locks on an EF......... where do I start??? Try taking the lock knobs off the front doors (if you have 2) and see how that goes. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford that has several pages on how to properly diagnose and repair the door lock dramas on EF and EL's.
ok i'll try that, ford now do not fix them under a warranty, what a surprise eh

#6 ·
peter61 said:
I had a similar problem with my EF sedan where the rear passenger door would'nt lock. After weeks of searching and pulling out actuators, I found a corroded wiring connector from the rear door actuator which was situated between the two doors, in the body. I crimped on a new connector and its now fine. So I would check all the wiring. Another possibility is of faulty diodes in a actuator. I bought the same rated diodes from Dick Smiths and they were like 20 cents each and easy to fit. Maybe try disconnecting an actuator from each door one at a time to try to isolate the problem.
Failing that it could mean the control unit is faulty and they are very expensive.
"have not got to that sstage yet, but it is on the cards for very soon, thanks fo the info

#7 ·
gokarts said:
Hi all

Do you get the odd engine cut out ?
I have had to replace the main power relay a couple of times in both the EL's we have , usd to cut out or sometimes the locks would go crazy , now fixed with a relay..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.