Ford Forums banner

EF Falcon died on side of road

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bivo7 
#1 ·
My EF Falcon died on side of road and I dont seem to be able to get it to go. The starter motor will crank over but there appears to be no spark. On these the coil is a pain to get to but found that removing the air box gives access. Can anyone give me an idea of where to start? It had been running pretty good then it died 20klms out of town. Its done about 240,000klms. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Blueee1961

#3 ·
Get a noid light (cheap tool used to check fuel injectors are getting spark and timed correctly so you can check that as well)
and plug it into the low tension plug that enters the coil; it should flash when you turn the engine over. Then put and old spark plug with the gap opened slightly to 1.5mm gap and earthed on the block or head, at the distributor end of the HT lead that comes from the coil to the distributor and see if it flashes brightly when you turn the engine over. Then do the same at the plug ends of the HT leads..

Also check the ECU earth in the passenger side footwell is good and firm (the screw hole can open up and lose the earth connection so it works on and off).

#4 ·
hi mate my el just died one day after doing a radiator flush started up fine run fine then drove it up to the drive way and it just died on me as i pulled up it just cranked over and over no spark comin out of the leads if ur unsure on how old ur coil is its a wise move to replace them if u travel alot i just jacked the car up on stands and unbolted the coil only 3 bolts all up i think it is and a couple of wire easy as new coil and she was as good as gold but it could be a number of things but if u do the coil urself and spend 80 bucks and its not the problem then when u get it fixed u have a brand new coil :)

#5 ·
Re: EF Falcon died on side of road- fault code 32

The Airbag light flashes a fault code of 32 but when i tried this on the web site link it tells me that the problem is bank 1 sensor1 HE02 ANY MORE INFO? the fault code forthe website requires a prefix which i guessed was P as no other is recognised. HELP PLEASE

#6 ·
hey i have a NA and a NL Fairlane I know the NA has a starter relay that can die all of the sudden when ever it feels like it and your car will turn over but no go, but i don't know if the NL has the same thing and if it does it would probably look different as soon as the NA gets back home I'll go have a hunt around and see what I can find for you, I've never had to do any work on the NL as yet touch wood, but surely they didn't change to much between the EL and EF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.