EF Falcon start issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 04:44   #1 (permalink)

EF Falcon start issue

I have an 1995 EF Falcon Classic EFI with coil pack ignition.
Unlock car with Smartlock remote or key. Insert key into ignition barrel. Turn key thru step 1 and attempt start. Starter motor makes a relay click. No start.
If i leave key at step one for a few minutes. I hear an audible click all by itself. It will then start ok. It does this more often than not. Do i have a starter relay issue. Faulty smartlock module. Leaky capacitor that causes smartlock failure or something else?
Mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 14:22   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: EF Falcon start issue

Is Smartlock flashing a code in the run position? Is the internal roof courtesy light globe OK and of correct wattage? Swap ignition relay in engine bay with another and ensure pins and socket are clean - does that fix the problem? Is centre dash earth sound?
Old 12-30-2013, 00:36   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue View Post
Is Smartlock flashing a code in the run position? Is the internal roof courtesy light globe OK and of correct wattage? Swap ignition relay in engine bay with another and ensure pins and socket are clean - does that fix the problem? Is centre dash earth sound?
Do you mean if ignition on accesories or if i engage the starter on ignition, do i see a smartlock error. I see the smartlock light flashing.
Interesting fact, some months before my son had removed dashbiard factory radio tape deck. Had all the wiring hanging out. My mechanic put all the wiring back in the dash area. We notice air con heating switch was not working intermittantly. That issue seem to go away. You suggestion regarding the dash earthing may have some merit. How does on ensure that is ok. I do have a multimeter?
Cheers
Old 12-30-2013, 05:45   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Just under the screw at each corner of the dash near the windscreen (next to those speaker grills) and slide the panel off (towards the rear of the car) then you see a bolt near the windscreen at the centre (almost directly below the rear vision mirror) this will have 2 earth wires under it with ring terminals; ensure this bolt is tight. You cam use your multimeter to check that the relay sockets in the fuse box are earthed but this is not a foolproof way as a loose earth bolt will mean you have an earth but a very poor and intermittent earth.

To get the Smartlock codes turn the key to the run (final) position and count the flashes of the Smartlock warning light (0, 2,3, 4, 5, 6 or 8 flashes). if you get a code it's likely the BEM has a dry joint.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:20   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Have you checked that ignition/starter relay - the one closest to the cabin under the black cover near the battery? You can start by just swapping it with one of the other relays (so you may get another fault by doing this - i.e. if you swap with fuel pump relay it mays start then die). The grey one to the left of the one circled here is the starter relay:

It sounds as though the relay may be taking a while to switch. Try jumping the relay socket with the key in run position (gear in neutral) and see if it starts immediately then. Aside from normal relay failures these sockets often get spilt coolant that corrodes the sockets making for poor contact so a regular spray with contact cleaner lubricant is a good idea.
Old 01-02-2014, 18:39   #6 (permalink)

turned key to step 1 and then attempted a start.
smartlock light in dash flashes 4 times in steps of 3 and stays on.

flash, flash flash,flash ........flash, flash flash,flash.........flash, flash flash,flash

then stays on.

Will get a relay switch and test 60amp 32volt ignition relay
Cheers
Old 01-03-2014, 07:11   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

BEM Smartlock Code 4 caused by:
a) Broken connection between lock assembly and BEM module;
b) Input Output Circuit on lock assembly failed;
c) Failed power supply to lock assembly; or
d) Dry joint in BEM.

Check for continuity between pin 2 of ignition switch and pin A20 of BEM
Check for continuity between pin 4 of ignition switch and pin A5 of BEM
Check bottom of ignition switch assembly is not coming apart. See http://www.fordmods.com/ecu-fuel-sys...lp-t86300.html
Resolder all relays in BEM. See http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=26
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons