EF Fault Codes (EECV) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2002, 03:33   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

EF Fault Codes (EECV)

Ok, the old mans EF has developed abit of a stutter when accelerating. Initially it did it about 3500rpm now it's doing it at just after takeoff around 1200-1400rpm not all the time though. But after this stutter it works fine. It even idles like usual and power delivery seems as normal.

Anyways i decided to do some self diagnosis using a multimeter to determine if there are any fault codes. Sure enough there are a number of them. This is my first time i've attempted this.

Heres the list of codes:

522: Vehicle not in Neutral/Park or A/C is On during self diagnosis
(Wierd thing is my A/C was not on and i was in neutral)
214: Cam angle sensor (signal out of range)
216: Coil failed to fire (cylinders 2 and 5)
217: Coil failed to fire (cylinders 3 and 4)

Ok hers my question, does this mean i will need a new cam angle sensor and Coil pack or could it be another problem.

Also has anyone got an EF and have done these self test ECU check and rectified these code problems i have.

Thanks in advanced.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2002, 04:00   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I'd be wondering if the neutral safety switch is faulty, the gear lever position not correctly adjusted or the wiring harness has come loose somewhere. Check for voltage (12V) on A terminal of the Cam Angle Sensor and on terminal 4 of the coil pack with ignition switch on.
Old 10-23-2002, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

confused

In regards to the coil pack is it common for these things to have an intermitent problem or do they generally fail completely ie 1 or 2 of the cylinders not firing at all through the rev range.

Just seems wierd with the fault codes that came up, and the car still runs. I would of thought it the cam angle sensor is faulty that the car won't be running at all or very very rough.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 10-23-2002, 19:09   #4 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

If you had four cylinders out the car wouldn't run. Check the wiring to the coil pack and the leads. The coil packs are positioned in a bad spot and they get wet which caused lot of strange problems. I've never seen a cam angle sensor go faulty as they only tell the ECU which half of the cam revolution it's in (ie. on for the first 180, off for the second) I would think your problem lies elsewhere, not with those two.

Also remember that ECU codes are just a guide we get so many cars that come in with problems and no codes. As a rule of thumb, always try to get two bits of evidence that a part is faulty. So you have a computer code, dont go changing all those parts yet, do other tests on them first with a multimeter to get your second bit evidence, otherwise it can be an expensive trick for a no fix situation.

Did you clear codes first, then get it to do it hesitation and check them again??? Thats a good starting point...

Also with your coil pack error it fires two cylinders at a time (1 & 6, 2 & 5 and 3 & 4) So if one lead or plug is shorting out the other cylinder that runs off the cylinder wont fire properly. Check all the leads for resistance with a multimeter too...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 19:45   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Looks like i'll be putting the EF on blocks and crawling underneath and having a look at a few connections to the coilpack and neutral switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons