EF Vs EL - The differences - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 22:41   #1 (permalink)

Question EF Vs EL - The differences

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I am starting to look around to buy my next car.

I have been looking at Falcons and am unsure which way to go.

The budget will probably be about $6000 but that said, I would like to get a Fairmont most likely.

What are the differences (both big and small, and also niggles that you EF-EL owners out there have) between the models and any recommendations would be good.

I would like to also get a car on LPG but would like to avoid an ex-taxi if possible.

Any advice appreciated.

Psy
Psyklonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 23:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: EF Vs EL - The differences

Try looking around in these sites, both are nice rides.

http://www.eafalcon.com/
http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts/
http://www.trueblueford.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyklonus
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I am starting to look around to buy my next car.

I have been looking at Falcons and am unsure which way to go.

The budget will probably be about $6000 but that said, I would like to get a Fairmont most likely.

What are the differences (both big and small, and also niggles that you EF-EL owners out there have) between the models and any recommendations would be good.

I would like to also get a car on LPG but would like to avoid an ex-taxi if possible.

Any advice appreciated.

Psy
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 00:53   #3 (permalink)

IMO an EL has many improvents on an EF and many differances...though some are minor and some are significant.I would recommend an EL over an EF, but if you will be looking for a Fairmont then you will likely end up with an EF on around a $6000 budget unless you get lucky or buy a bomb !!
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 22:44   #4 (permalink)

I have researched these cars a bit from those sites (thanks sbcb!) and have found that I think I will most likely go for the EF Fairmont Ghia because I think I would rather get the more appointed model even if it is a couple of years older.

A few questions remain though

1. How do I determine a Series II? I would prefer to get a series 2
2. Can I expect to get a good condition EF Fairmont Series 2 for approx $6500? Or will this be pushing it?
3. Did the Fairmont recieve any suspension modifications to relieve this "nervous handling" I have been reading about?
4. How do these cars age? Are they likely to have many expensive problems? Are all the weatherseals and the way the windows and doors close still good today, even in not so well maintained cars?

More I cant think of now probably

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Psy
Old 05-02-2005, 04:25   #5 (permalink)

1. Series two was introduced in October 95 so 95 model series 2s do exist. Easy way to tell is by looking at the interior. Series 1 had 'stripes' across the trims whereas the series 2 had 'pebbles'. The exterior was exactly the same for series 1 and 2 so its impossible to determine what series it is just by looking at it. Series 2 Fairmont Ghias had a slighty detuned version of the XR6 engine which can be differenciated via a red rocker cover (not sure if it had tickford badging on it).

2. You might be able to get a series 2 fairmont for $6,500 but it will be absolutely shagged with heaps of kays. I've seen heaps here in Melb with decent kays (between 115-160ish) from about 8,500-9K. Exceptional exmaples with 80,000 kms usually go for 14-15K.

3. All series 2 cars had improved suspension to improve feel but this will make no difference at this stage of the cars life cycle - remember we're talking about a 9-10 year old car so the suspension will be rooted by now if it hasn't been changed. Better off spending a grand or so fitting decent suspension and it will handle relatively well for a 1,600kg car.

4. In terms of reliability the Fairmonts and EFs are generally pretty good. The sixes usually require a head gasket change (approx $1,000 if done by a mechanic) at least once. Standard rotors tend to warp and hence shudder if they've been abused and in my case the leads have caused me a little grief (on my third set in 5 years). Some cars tend to chew the inner or outer edges of their front tyres but this can be rectified with a camber/catser kit (approx. $300 fitted). Also note that if you decide to lower the car the camber/caster kit is imperative. Sealing isn't a problem and i don't ever recall anyone complaining on the forums about leakages or the like. If you're buying a Fairmont or Ghia remember they have power windows so its only a matter of time before a window regulator shits itself. Other than that they're pretty stubborn cars.. all you need to do is make sure you service it every 5,000km and keep all the vital fluids such as the coolant fresh.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:41   #6 (permalink)

EL all the way - have you considered the futura as an alternative? You still get cruise, elec windows(front only - but thats two less to stuff up!) and has a nice(r) interior.

You will need to check the chassis rail that runs along the car. Apparently it is quite common for these to get a rust hole. If you need to get a RWC, you might need to get a plate welded to it.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2005, 05:01   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura97
EL all the way - have you considered the futura as an alternative? You still get cruise, elec windows(front only - but thats two less to stuff up!) and has a nice(r) interior.

You will need to check the chassis rail that runs along the car. Apparently it is quite common for these to get a rust hole. If you need to get a RWC, you might need to get a plate welded to it.

Cheers
If you're comparing an EL Futura to an EF Fairmont then I don't quite agree that the EL had a nicer interior. The 'mont had velour seats that were also padded very thick where the Futura had funny cotton. You'll also notice that the higher spec cars (Fairmont and above) have thicker plush carpet, not too mention climate control, trip computer, oil and voltage gauges on the cluster, side mouldings etc etc
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 21:25   #8 (permalink)

So you guys out there that own EL and EFs... whats your opinions and thoughts after owning them for a while?

I would really like a fairmont I dont want a GLI

Thanks
Psy
Old 05-08-2005, 07:16   #9 (permalink)

EF's = Better looking then EL

EL's = Fixed all the EF stuff up's
youngNstupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 23:49   #10 (permalink)

For $6,500... yes you can find a EF ll fairmont in sydney without a doubt in good condition but you will have to look around!
I have seen them go for as little as 5.5k... and i have seen a EL Fairmont go for 6k from a dealer!!??
Tomek_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons