EL Fairmont Dash Removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 14:46   #1 (permalink)

EL Fairmont Dash Removal

Hello,

I am getting an E2 error on my climate control and i have no hot air coming out of the heater so it looks like I will have to inspect/replace the blend door motor. Does anyone know where I could find instructions online for the removal of the dash, and what does the blend door motor unit look like?

Thanks
mzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 18:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: EL Fairmont Dash Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzad View Post
Hello,

I am getting an E2 error on my climate control and i have no hot air coming out of the heater so it looks like I will have to inspect/replace the blend door motor. Does anyone know where I could find instructions online for the removal of the dash, and what does the blend door motor unit look like?

Thanks
It's a common problem with climate on Falcons, I heard the BA-BF has it too (dunno if it's actually the same setup or not). The blend motor itself rarely fails, it's usually the small potentiometer (pot, variable resistor) sender that goes bad. Try a reset/recalibration - the CC micro cycles the door and tries to reestablish refpoints. The movement might clean the track enough to get it going again. It'll probably bugger up again though. The reset is performed thus: -Warm the engine to op temp (till the upper radiator hose gets warm, eg when thermostat opens). -At Key On Engine Off, depress the Mode and Off buttons together and release. The LCD will display 88.8 and go thru self-test. Any errors will display. -Press the Auto button to exit self test. If more than one error is present it will display - press the Auto button again to get to the self-test exit state. Key off, then on again to KOEO. Repeat the self-test and exit procedure. If doing this a few times doesn't help then you're out of luck.. Removing the dash is a very fiddly, involved process. Ford charge $1000 odd for it, and I wouldn't trust any old mechanic to do it unless they do them often - there's a lot of tricks and traps. Unless you know what you're doing (and have the right tools) you will probably end up with a few broken plastic bits/trims and a squeaky dash upon refitment. As a start I'd look at getting the proper Ford workshop manual set ($300 odd). There's still plenty of stuff the manual doesn't say or explain but if you can find someone who knows the procedure well you can pick their brains. Basically you have to pull everything out - console, steering column, cluster, dash. Then you can get to the plenum box which has the blend door motor on top. Usually you can remove the motor without degassing the aircon - but it's pretty tricky to get it out as the screws aren't accessible by screwdriver. I think the blend units are expensive from Ford, not worth getting a secondhand one. If you're handy with electronics you can fix them up to be as good as new. Don't mean to discourage you but it's a big job which is why they charge $$$.. post back if you need (even) more info. cheers
benryanau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons