EL Futura Steering Wheel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 22:44   #1 (permalink)

Question EL Futura Steering Wheel

Hi,
I have an EL Falcon Sapphire Futura. The original steering wheel which includes the airbag and the cruise controls has over time begun to wear badly.
Whilst I can buy for a bout $400.00 and have fitted for an $60.00 one of the original crappy grey rubber ones I wonder if it's possible to purchase and transplant an EL Fairlane or better wood grained steering wheel.

Alternatively is there an after market product available, I've tried local (Melbourne) auto trimmers but no one seems to do steering wheels.

Any help appreciated.
Recycled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 00:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: EL Futura Steering Wheel

EF/EL/AU are all interchangeable, including the Fairlanes. Just swap over your cruise switches if you have cruise control.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:30   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled
Hi,
I have an EL Falcon Sapphire Futura. The original steering wheel which includes the airbag and the cruise controls has over time begun to wear badly.
Whilst I can buy for a bout $400.00 and have fitted for an $60.00 one of the original crappy grey rubber ones I wonder if it's possible to purchase and transplant an EL Fairlane or better wood grained steering wheel.

Alternatively is there an after market product available, I've tried local (Melbourne) auto trimmers but no one seems to do steering wheels.

Any help appreciated.
If you're going to do a swap remember that is has airbags. Needs to be handled very carefully
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:52   #4 (permalink)

Pull the airbag fuse first...cannot fire without it.

for dead surety, disconnect the battery...needs power to fire.

And if you do the right thing and replace with and airbag unit....don't press your nose agains the wheel when you apply power to the system, for the first time...stay out of the bloody way!!

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 18:37   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the prompt replies guys, I won't attempt the work myself I'll get a registered mechanic to do it, I really just wanted to know if I could replace with a woodgrain wheel and if I can, where to get one from?

Thanks again
Old 02-28-2006, 01:55   #6 (permalink)

Today I purchased, 2nd Hand, an EL Fairmont leather bound steering wheel. No airbag or control paddles but I've assumed I can utilise the bag and cruise control off my original wheel as suggested bu the parts supplier.
My problem is I've approached my mechanic (I've used him for years) and he's making too hard - too dangerous noises.
Can any one tell me if the swap over of one wheel for another is a complex or too hard process again I have assumed that if one is careful it should be a relatively simple process.
Old 02-28-2006, 21:09   #7 (permalink)

Its a simple swap over in terms of it fitting on there, but the mechanic has probably never dealt with removing an airbag equipped wheel before. Thus he doesnt want to take in the job in the very slight chance that somehing may go wrong.

If you dont want to do it yourself try ringing around a few different places to see if they will do it for you.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:25   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for that Frd_Pwr.
Are any special tools required and is there a step by step or walkthrough I could download from somewhere??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons