el turbo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 20:49   #1 (permalink)

el turbo

I am in the process of buying a 97 el fairmont ghia and i am deciding if i should go for the 6 or the 8.This car will not be my daily driver and i am looking to go in a slightly different dirrection.I was going to go for the 5ltr but i recently saw a el xr6 turbo and i was looking for any information on how to go about doing this to my fairmont.if anyone could help me with an idea about cost,products, or if a ba turbo is compatibull or any other general suggestions it would be much appreciated.thanks
poorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2006, 21:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: el turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorea
I am in the process of buying a 97 el fairmont ghia and i am deciding if i should go for the 6 or the 8.This car will not be my daily driver and i am looking to go in a slightly different dirrection.I was going to go for the 5ltr but i recently saw a el xr6 turbo and i was looking for any information on how to go about doing this to my fairmont.if anyone could help me with an idea about cost,products, or if a ba turbo is compatibull or any other general suggestions it would be much appreciated.thanks
What state are you in? If you are in vic you will have major troubles making a turbo 6 legal (one requirement is to take a $3000 emmisions test which you must pay whether you pass or fail).

Dont bother putting a ba XR6T motor in an el its way too much work and $$$ customising it to fit in, it really isnt worth it. There are guys pushing over 400rwkw in EL's and standard blocks can be good for up to 200-300rwkw.

Having said that turbocharging the e-series 4.0L will see very impressive results. Most people can easily make over 200rwkw on 7psi and with a bit of engine work 300rwkw on 10psi is achievable.

The cost for a turbo setup varies greatly. It all depends on...

1. What power do you want to make?
2. How reliable do you want it?
3. How much are you willing to spend?
4. Auto or manual?
5. Will you do work yourself or installed by a proffesional?
6. Where are you sourcing parts from 2nd hand/new?

For a basic reliable setup you need

Turbo Manifold
Turbo
Wastegate
BOV
Oil & water lines
Intercooler + piping
Aftermarket ECU
Injectors
3" exhaust + dump pipe
Pod filter
Fuel pump

Probably more that i have missed as well. Most people will spend anywhere from $8000+ for a reliable setup.

However some people who have taken time to source parts when they pop up cheaply and by only running low boost (less than 6psi) have been able to do it under $3 000 and seen results such as 180rwkw and 13.5sec 1/4mile. These were all done only using microfuelers, stock ecu though so if you wanted to go any quicker would cost a substantial amount more.

There are a few people around that make turbo kits/parts for ea-au falcons. Heres one http://www.snortperformance.com/ford...turbo_kits.htm
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons