el xr8 and au xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 02:43   #1 (permalink)

el xr8 and au xr8

i heard the el xr8 engines r shit that they dont go well is this true and are the au xr8 engines good?
great one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 03:30   #2 (permalink)
Safety Commitee Tim

Re: el xr8 and au xr8

the AU XR8 engine was privilliged to have the GT40p heads, whereas the EL XR8 did not.. i think.. EL series 1 are a let down engine, the series 2's however are more refined and are more of a competition to AU1 XR's. however despite this equal power figures were claimed by Ford on both EL II and AU 1 (185KW) . Other than that I think im not sure what else was much different.. Iv'e never raced one so I couldnt tell you how one goes against my EL II XR8..

XR8 MUMBO HERE
EF_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:23   #3 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

The AU is better, with good heads and inlet manifold along with better exhaust manifolds. The EL ports are tiny and don't seem to really run the numbers the AU's do in stock form even with the base 175kw engine. The 185kw AU XR8 engine also had more torque than the EL 2 and it was smoother too.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:08   #4 (permalink)

so is the au xr8 (185kw) engine a different engine to the 185kw in the el or did they put the same engine in the au till they went to the 200kw?
great one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:31   #5 (permalink)
need BOOST

The 185kw AU and 185kw ELII engines are different.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 20:24   #6 (permalink)
Conan

The EL motors were still great engines. The lighter weight of the EL more than makes up for the torque difference. The EL series 2 gets up and goes a lot easier due to the less weight. The old windsor motors just keep going and going. Never underestimate the little V8. My old EL was pushed hard on many occasions, and never missed a beat for 230,000km, inlcuding a once a month stint to tow my drag car 400km to the raceway.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

They're essentially just as good as each other once you mod them

AU motors are better to start with if you don't intend swapping the heads, manifolds, etc. I'm chucking some AU heads & manifolds on my EB soon :D I would've gone for some better heads (AFRs maybe) but I'm not looking at having a hot NA car, so AU goodies will be definitely up to the task

HO manifold & E7 heads suck!

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:02   #8 (permalink)

g day with the xr8 el does n e one the the price on those extra body kits are you can put on them and do you recon they look good
thanks
i_wanna_elxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 21:07   #9 (permalink)
Safety Commitee Tim

if you mean the XR bodykit, which is essentially skirting they usually go for about $1000 supply only, give or take.. wreckers have the genuine kits sometimes for a couple hundred less, depends on who has what.

As I said FORD quoted same power outputs on both EL 2 and AU 1 however the AU had the goodies. If you find a decent priced EL2 you could chalk it up a little to a good standard with some money you saved on an nice AU1. Or if you dont like AU's design. Thtas why I picked my EL2. I would rather the sleek mean looking EL over the AU shape. But iv'e seen AU1's here in SA selling for lower than EL2's, I guess the EL hold value a bit better sometimes, And u can spend about 2K-3K to get the GT40P's and a few other goodies to trick it up. It all depends on how far you wana go with the engine ?

XR8 MUMBO HERE
EF_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons

Related Reading: el xr8 and au xr8