Explain the ECU to me please? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2004, 22:09   #1 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Explain the ECU to me please?

Now this is not as silly as the title sounds, i want to know how it works and what they do?

i *think* i know some of the basics but :-
Does it do the speedo and the auto shift points?
Do is control all the accessories, radio etc?
Obviously steps up the idle for A/C, but does the ECU do this or is it the swtch in the rack combined with the ECu.. explain it to me if you can, the rack switch sends a signal? pulse? to the Ecu that then forwards it onto the ICS..
EECV has the BBM and advance timing feature but what else?
But could i not pull my i/let manifold off and run a carbie on a CFI manifold and get decent performance with jetting? I not being a smart ass just it has always stumped me, why my old warm XD with a 4 barrell Holley 465cfm went harder/faster than most of the newer EFI set-ups.(ULP withstanding of course). Wiring up the car without an ECU is not hard, time consuming yes but hard no, is it just emmision laws that stop us?

Opinions?
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 03:29   #2 (permalink)
MY GHIA

Re: Explain the ECU to me please?

yes for emmisions but also for driveabilty and reliablty scince efi was started, motor repairs are a thing of the past no more burnt valves ect 100,000 K's and a motor is just run in now, back in carby days thats time for a new one
the speedo tranducer works the dash pointer it yes goes to the ecu for shift points but the shift points are also dertemend by box temp, motor temp, load, rpm, speed, throttle pos.
the eng ecu only controls only driveline parts
the a/c idle is is done by a input from the ,cc unit ( or a/c thermostat on man a'c cars) call a/c demand then if the ecu "says yep ok" (eng speed to low ,temp ,load )it will a output to t relay turning the comp on (ever noticed flooring eb2> will cause the a/c to turn off until relesed will also turn off if the motot is to hot) , the p/s rack switch is a on/off switch when press on the high side reachs the pre dertremed level it closes witch causes idle up when press drops the switch opens both of these are differnt inputs to the ecu witch outputs to the ica ,
eccv yes has the bbm output and adj's the timing ,gearbox control ,a/c control , eng fan control, fuel pump control and on some high ser ef/l ,s had steering press control this was controld by a vavle in the rack making the steering "light"at slow speedsthen getting hever as the car speed is faster
im not sure about any carbie that will fit on a EA cfm mainfold they had a weird stud patten
cthawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:35   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Explain the ECU to me please?

I'd love to run an EA CFi manifold with a carby, just for a bit of fun to see how she goes.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons