Ford Spare Parts rip off - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
'94 ED XR8 Sprint Manual

Ford Spare Parts rip off

Guys,
Sorry for the rant...
BUT..

I am sick of being ripped off by Ford Spare parts.
Dont worry I have learnt and only buy from Ford if I MUST..
As an example.
ED XR8 sprint parts that are not sprint specific..
Sump gasket was quoted by my local dealer $180 / Autobarn $20
Rear main seal : Ford $45 / Autobarn $14
Rear Uni : Ford $88 / Autobarn $19

All i all I was quoted $313 for all 3 parts from Ford.
Autobarn cost me under $60
That is a $253 saving. I dont know how they can justify it

Another example is the low water sensor in the radiator header tank. was quoted something like $85 from Ford. As I cant get it new from other places (I assume) then it will need to be Ford...
ED XR headlight mount. Cant just buy the plastic mount. Need to buy the complete set lights and all for $600+ per side..

What a JOKE...

Sorry ... Rant off... ;-(
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 22:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford Spare Parts rip off

Dont worry they dont care if you dont buy from them,they have plenty of unsuspecting costermers that dont know any better,ford quoted me 120 bucks for a tfi module and you can get a whole new dizzy for $95 c/o from bursons.
Old 10-25-2005, 22:43   #3 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

I don't buy from FORD unless the part is not available anywhere else. People think buying genuine is better but most of the time aftermarket is the same or better.

Don't go there for parts or service and you will save heaps.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:11   #4 (permalink)

BDENNIS,
were you just using an example with the headlight mount, or do you actually need one?

You CAN get them repaired, Headlight and Heater are just one company with a pretty solid reputation for plastic repairs....in melbourne.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:13   #5 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

How about $800 list price for a V8 starter motor, or $120ea rocker cover gasket. I only get genuine parts because I get cost price but even then sometimes it is cheaper to go aftermarket for some parts. I don't know how they can legally charge the prices they do, but some people just pay them without thinking.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:46   #6 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdennis
Guys,
Sorry for the rant...
BUT..

I am sick of being ripped off by Ford Spare parts.
Dont worry I have learnt and only buy from Ford if I MUST..
As an example.
ED XR8 sprint parts that are not sprint specific..
Sump gasket was quoted by my local dealer $180 / Autobarn $20
Rear main seal : Ford $45 / Autobarn $14
Rear Uni : Ford $88 / Autobarn $19

All i all I was quoted $313 for all 3 parts from Ford.
Autobarn cost me under $60
That is a $253 saving. I dont know how they can justify it

Another example is the low water sensor in the radiator header tank. was quoted something like $85 from Ford. As I cant get it new from other places (I assume) then it will need to be Ford...
ED XR headlight mount. Cant just buy the plastic mount. Need to buy the complete set lights and all for $600+ per side..

What a JOKE...

Sorry ... Rant off... ;-(
Welcome to the world of being ripped off buy Ford. I remember when I had my EBGT, any parts that had TVE in front of the number you could add 200%+ mark up on..
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:42   #7 (permalink)
'94 ED XR8 Sprint Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
BDENNIS,
were you just using an example with the headlight mount, or do you actually need one?

You CAN get them repaired, Headlight and Heater are just one company with a pretty solid reputation for plastic repairs....in melbourne.

Cheers
Jas
Jas,
Thanks.
I will have a look at repairing it. I will need to pullit out and see how bad it is. Someone (prb the prev owner) has had a go with something..

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:11   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
How about $800 list price for a V8 starter motor, or $120ea rocker cover gasket. I only get genuine parts because I get cost price but even then sometimes it is cheaper to go aftermarket for some parts. I don't know how they can legally charge the prices they do, but some people just pay them without thinking.
G'day,
the reason they get away with it can be explained by section 52 of the federal trade practices act.(Oz)

This section covers price fixing, and conspiring to fix a price.

Many parts sold by aftermarket sellers are in fact genuine items...despite the packaging.

What must be remembered is most parts are made by 3rd party companies. Ford enters into a contract to buy X amount at a certain price, they also enter into a contract to permit the manufacturer of said componant to produce as many as they like under a design licence, which they can on-sell to any individual they like at what-ever price the manufacturer wishes. Normally the producer pays to ford a % for each unit produced of thier item.

Ford puts its price on the parts, and any other 'aftermarket' supplier is also permitted to do the same.

As ford are not controlling the sale value of the 'aftermarket' item, which came out of exactly the same mould, they are not breaching sect 52, therefore not breaking the law.

It then comes down to the consumer to Chase the best possible price for a product. Other considerations, are that different suppliers offer different warranties for the same product.

I worked for a rubber product company as a kid (no i never made condoms), and one of our convo's was the difference between what our boss was charging for one particular product and what it was available retail for...the boss was selling them at 9.20 and they were on the shelf for 109-140.....too many middle men there.

Its the old reccomendation to consumers....shop around!!

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:52   #9 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

V8 parts for 5.0's have always been ridiculously overpriced. $250 for a distributor cap when you can buy a Bosch one for $20. I reckon if you got one shipped over from the US it would be less than $50.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:19   #10 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

You will find that they charge retail so high becuse they also have to look after their trade customers .If you could buy as cheap as trade there would be no trade .
But in saying that it is crap the prices they charge but I guess when there main customer is insurance companies then they are going to charge as much as they can. They don't care about you, you are nothing to their sales (as wrong as that is).

One more thing next time you need a part from ford get the price then say that is not good enough and it will get lower I know for a fact that they have 2 prices for everyone highest price for retail and the lowest for retail and so on ,it gives them some room to move (as wrong as it is)

I know the direct above due to where I work
Even with where I work, I buy aftermarket for the same reason
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons

Related Reading: Ford Spare Parts rip off