Front lower ball joints EL Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 23:15   #1 (permalink)
me_

Front lower ball joints EL Falcon

I've managed to pull the bastards out with the assistance of a large sledgehammer, how do I put the new ones in?

I tried freezing the new ball joint and heating the mount with a propane torch but it still wont go in. Any tips?
me_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 03:10   #2 (permalink)
EF falcon

Re: Front lower ball joints EL Falcon

those ball joints can be a real pain we have done a few on express vans at work, we took it off the car and used a press to get them in place. your best option might be try that or take the parts and new joints down to pedders or a suspension place i dont think they charge to much to install that kind of stuff.
bivo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Press, vice or best yet the special tool like this

See PeachPartsWiki: How I Replaced the Ball Joints and Tie Rods for more

I have the OTC version; they are expensive here inn Oz and it's still a difficult job but easier than otherwise and a) the steering knuckle wont fit of the table of my 20 tonne Bathurst hydraulic press b) using a vice as suggested in the Ford factory manual broke my large Dawn vice (OK like me it was old and fatigued but I was fond of it). There are cheaper versions of this tool (e.g. US General versions made in China from Harbor Freight) but I gather they can bend before the ball joint moves see Adjustable Ball Joints. Too see how to do teh job also see Guide To Replacing Balljoints On Ford E150 Econoline Vans .: Articles
Old 05-23-2009, 06:07   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

This is another option:

FALCON EA EB ED FRONT BALL JOINT / STUB AXLE ASSEMBLIES - eBay Other Suspension, Steering, Suspension, Steering, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 01-Jun-09 21:15:12 AEST)
A pair of steering knuckles with new upper and lower ball joints in place for $295.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons