good mechanic needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 02:28   #1 (permalink)
Never late in a FORD V8

good mechanic needed

g'day
i live in the norhtern suburbs of melbourne and was just wondering if people could recommend somewhere good to give my EL Fairmont a tune up as it is idling pretty rough and probably needs a tune. i dont want to take it somewhere and get ripped off! Pascoe Vale Motors said $50 for a tune (to hook on the comp. and have a look whats wrong).

2 1/2" Cat back Straight thru Redback exhaust system
EL GT rims
K&N panel filter
Pioneer head unit
Tinted windows
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2005, 04:16   #2 (permalink)

biggrin Re: good mechanic needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT
g'day
i live in the norhtern suburbs of melbourne and was just wondering if people could recommend somewhere good to give my EL Fairmont a tune up as it is idling pretty rough and probably needs a tune. i dont want to take it somewhere and get ripped off! Pascoe Vale Motors said $50 for a tune (to hook on the comp. and have a look whats wrong).
that sounds cheap enough. and sounds fair as well as when they diagnose the fault they will be able to qoute you for the remedy. although those machines are great they are not a magic wand either. a set of leads and plugs will probably be on the cards as well as injector clean
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:25   #3 (permalink)

Re: good mechanic needed

sounds pretty cheap to me i paid $80 for an ef to be looked at (had a miss after i changed leads and plugs) only to be told it was the coil pack and that was at place near ford motor co in campbellfield
BLDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:33   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDNUT
sounds pretty cheap to me i paid $80 for an ef to be looked at (had a miss after i changed leads and plugs) only to be told it was the coil pack and that was at place near ford motor co in campbellfield
the old coil pack is a bitch to change without a hoist, i forgot about them there a common problem too. i think the els went back to the dizzy though after that for a short time. correct me if i am wrong
Old 08-21-2005, 21:36   #5 (permalink)

EL has a dissy
Start with cap - rotor - leads - plugs(go genuine parts)
And while your at it put in a air & fuel filter if they haven't been done lately
BIGDOG
BIGDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:22   #6 (permalink)
Never late in a FORD V8

thanks for the info guys.

2 1/2" Cat back Straight thru Redback exhaust system
EL GT rims
K&N panel filter
Pioneer head unit
Tinted windows
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:46   #7 (permalink)

G'day,
even on an EL, there is little scope for adjusment.
The best way on these cars...EA-EL is to watch your fuel consumption.

My EB Centrepoint Injected, gives 520-540km per tank (i suck it dry). If it drops below 500 for 3-4 consecutive tanks, then i start with plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor buton.

If this doesn't fix it, then i get the injectors done by a mobile guy.

I have spent zip on diagnosis....only time i did, it stopped 50 yards from work..and a mechanic, and i rolled backwards down the road into his shop. Turned out was the module on the dizzy...now know how to diagnose the problem there.

Fact is, these falcons are easy to diagnose for bad running...esp if it gets worse over time....computer diagnosis will NOT tell you about a bad lead.

Cheers
Jas

PS...as suggested use genuine leads. i get triple the life out of the (have personally done 340,000km in my EB)
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:56   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
G'day,
even on an EL, there is little scope for adjusment.
The best way on these cars...EA-EL is to watch your fuel consumption.

My EB Centrepoint Injected, gives 520-540km per tank (i suck it dry). If it drops below 500 for 3-4 consecutive tanks, then i start with plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor buton.

If this doesn't fix it, then i get the injectors done by a mobile guy.

I have spent zip on diagnosis....only time i did, it stopped 50 yards from work..and a mechanic, and i rolled backwards down the road into his shop. Turned out was the module on the dizzy...now know how to diagnose the problem there.

Fact is, these falcons are easy to diagnose for bad running...esp if it gets worse over time....computer diagnosis will NOT tell you about a bad lead.

Cheers
Jas

PS...as suggested use genuine leads. i get triple the life out of the (have personally done 340,000km in my EB)
a scope will show it up straight away in most cases
Old 08-27-2005, 07:42   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
a scope will show it up straight away in most cases
LMAO!!!

True.....

but everyone around here (and i don't blame them) is trying to save a dollar.

If they really want, then they still don't need a scope.....and not all mechanics connect to one first up..they try the diag box.

For 14.95 from d*ck smith they can get a simple multimeter and test each lead....and be REALLY tight and only replace those that fail. Rotor button and dizzy can be done on inspection.

Even on a scope, when the spark distribution system fails, most mechs replace plugs first.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons