HELP!!! Is this my fuel pump & does it need replacing?? (97 EL wagon) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 18:00   #1 (permalink)

Question HELP!!! Is this my fuel pump & does it need replacing?? (97 EL wagon)

Hi everyone,

I drive a 97 EL station wagon and am a total noob when it comes to fixing it (and posting) and so hope this makes sense and is not too long winded...but here goes...

The problem I'm having/symptoms are:

There has been a steadily increasing ringing sound coming from the boot/tailgate area of my wagon. It started out as a faint ringing but has now started drowning out the radio . It sounds like a solenoid motor or something whirring/screaming for help. When i left the car running and went to the back to check it out it seems it's coming from a little circular electric thing that looks like it enters the fuel tank on the back left hand side of the car. So that's why i'm assuming that maybe the fuel pump given it looks to be attached to the tank. Whatever it is it's making a mad racket and i was wondering how I could fix it. To look at where the ringing seems to be coming from when sliding under the car near the back left hand tyre there is a black electric cable that goes through a hole in a protective metal cover attached to the fuel tank. The cable/cord then goes into a black circular thing that sits flush with the side of what looks like the fuel tank (it's right underneath the left hand edge of where the spare tyre sits inside the car).

The other thing that makes me think it's the fuel pump or fuel line related is because when i'm driving and the ringing gets worse (it gets louder at times than others) the fuel guage in the dash starts flicking up and down randomly/uncontrolably from full to empty and back up again. Like it's an electric signal that's intermittantly breaking in and out so the fuel gauge keeps dropping to empty and back up again.

I've attached photos to try and help explain. Hope this helps!!

I want to fix it myself if I can (it looks like something that should be easily replaced whatever this thing is) and so any help re: photos or a guide on how to fix it (inc. what tools needed) would be awesome!!

Thanks!! (and please feel free to ask questions as i know this isn't the best explanation )
RDTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 00:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: HELP!!! Is this my fuel pump & does it need replacing?? (97 EL wagon)

it will be the fuel pump.i would also fit a new fuel filter aswell.
To replace it you need to knock the ring holding it in.

Best to do when fuel is very low and with the left rear side jacked up so no fuel comes out of it.
Also make sure you get a new seal for the unit where it seals on the tank.

Ian
goldie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > E-Series Falcons